1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Protection Plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by skycop, Oct 18, 2008.

1. skycop

skycop Cool Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Just wanted some of your thoughts on DTV's $5.99 month protection plan. Do you have it? Is it a good deal? I can't decide whether i need it or not.

Thanks!

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    It's like any insurance, if you never use it it's a waste of money but if you need to have something fixed it's great. I live in a area with high winds so carry it for dish realignments.

3. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    Exactly. The cost of one year of the PP is roughly about what one service call costs. And, if you need a receiver/DVR replaced you don't have to pay shipping with the PP.

4. tf92

tf92 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The protection plan is for peace of mind if you want to pay for it where you will not have any out of pocket expense when something happens I say get it. I myself do not have it, so far I have collected $233 that I can use later on a service call if I need to.

5. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I have it, seldom use it, but I keep it just the same.

6. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    :) service calls will be reduced on monday 10-20-08 to a new price of $49.95

7. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Once you add the protection plan, you will NEVER have an issue.;)

I didn't carry it for about 4 years than added for the last couple. While I have taken advantage of it a few of times, I have certainly paid out more than the services I received. I still like the security that they would replace (or re-align) the dish, multi-switch, cables, and receivers at no charge if need be.

They replaced my AT9 Sidecar with an AU9 Slimline. That helped maintain reception of the 'new' HD. I've also recieved 2 full installs for replacement DVRs. That was for an R15 SD DVR (dead hard drive) and another time for an HR20 HD DVR. (bad OTA tuner)

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    For more information, there are literally dozens of threads on the same subject if you use the forum search mechanism. The coverage and terms of the plan haven't changed, so it should all still be as relevant.

9. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    If you are capable of repairing your own cabling and swapping LNB’s and/or multiswitches, then the PP may not be necessary. Even if these things are beyond your capabilities, as long as you don’t expect to spend more than $70/year on average with these repairs (plus the S&H cost for any receiver swaps), then you can do without out. Keep in mind that D* has recently begun to push more toward in-home service calls at $80 instead of defective receiver swaps at $20. The PP will eliminate that “risk”.

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I've had it for years. I think the value of it goes up as you increase the number of your HD or other recievers....not only piece of mind for free replacements, but also for things like Disk alignment or operational problems, etc.

11. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    DirecTV clearly states on their site that they will replace for free any broken leased receiver. The protection plan is for covering your cabling, dish, etc.

Why do I need the protection plan if I lease my equipment?

The equipment leasing fee is for your receiver only. Leasing the receiver allows us to provide the latest equipment with minimal upfront cost, affordable upgrade options, and if the receiver fails we will replace it at no charge. The protection plan is also a great option to cover equipment other than the receiver. With the protection plan you will have access to service calls from a trained technician if we can't fix the problem over the phone, dish alignments, replacement of defective remotes and other components such as cables, multi-switches, or splitters, as well as free technical troubleshooting 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

12. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    Same here.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Except possibly freight and/or the cost of a service call that are covered by the protection plan.

14. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I just figured it out,the money i saved not having it don't put me ahead it just partially makes up for all the stupid mistakes i make.So what i am saying is if my Directv system don't break and i stop throwing money away i might break even.:)

15. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005

Official backup proof please? Got a link for this?

16. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Using my Yogi Berra voice...

"It is the one you really need to have. If you don't have it, that is why you need it.

If your equipment gets hurt and don't work, it won't hurt to not work.

And they give you free repairs, which is just as good as money."

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I would expect an official announcement tomorrow as that's the date it takes effect. This is just someone posting something due to internal communications.

I would also expect that with the price reduction there will be a more of a hard line approach of crediting them as well, but of course that is just speculation. I only add that because this is about the PP and it would basically seem to make sense.

The PP does 1 thing and 1 thing only. It makes sure that when you have a problem you've already paid for it so long as it's not due to abuse.

No D&H fee's on leased replacements, no charges for service calls, no commitment extension for replacement of owned to lease (arguably the biggest benefit to older customers).

I would say if you're budget allows you to spend the money on a service call whenever you need one then PP may not be as cost effective. If you're on a tight budget and 1 time charges could negatively impact you then paying for it would be better so you never had the 1 time expense. With the lease program and the new costs the benefits of the PP are lowering. It would be interesting to see if they change it some or start to have other costs associated with service calls for replacing equipment you own.

18. Darkbandit

Darkbandit Cool Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Used the PP the other day when I accidently cut the cable with a weedeater. The bonus was that the guy who came out saw what a crappy job the original installer did and saw that the pole wasn't concreted in the ground decided to redo everything that way there wouldn't be a problem in the future.

19. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    keep in mind that if you have something (like me) like an swm-8 module installed in a non-mdu setting it probably won't help.

20. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    I take verything with a grain of salt - especially if a post is made about something like this with 0 supporting documentation.

Personally I have it, have used it, even if there rumor of a lower cost was true would keep the PP in effect. Same reason why I put Best Buy's protection plan on every major purchase I make from them - peace of mind and the no lemon promise - which they do stand behind.