1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Screwed me.... how screwed am I?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by christo76, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christo76

christo76 Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    Got the free HDDVR with sunday ticket deal.... was expecting to get HR10, in fact was told it would be damn near impossible to get HR20. Then when I heard of the differences, i.e. no ota, can't diplex ota, and no duel buffers. So I was glad I couldn't get it. Even verified with the DTV install help line that I wouldn't get it...

Well I am getting the HR20. Big issue is, I just installed an OTA on a 35' tower. Both HD tvs in the house have tuners, so they don't need the OTA Tunner on the box, but I can't run seperate lines for the OTA. The dvr lines for one tv are actually 3' underground and go through 2' of concrete.

I heard the b band converter is internal on the HR20, so that means I can't diplex them after it. IS this true?

HOW Screwed am I?

PS.. called customer retention to bitch... all they said they could do was credit me $250 if I bought the HR10 on my own, even though it sells for $400... Also, I can't cancel Sunday ticket anymore, so i am stuck with the $250 for that even if I wanted to cancel it all.....

And now the installer is here, and appears to be a moron.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Could you just install the 3lnb dish and diplex your OTA?

3. christo76

christo76 Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    He says they can only install the 5lnb.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    How many lines into the house?

Do you have all lines dedicated to HR20's?

Can you get from one TV to the other with a line inside the house.

I ask because I believe you can't diplex for MPEG4 but you can still diplex for MPEG2 lines. So you can diplex the lines *after* they leave the dish multiswitch. If you can diplex the OTA line with a non-MPEG4 line you may be able to get OTA to both your TVs after you enter the house?

Just throwing it out there cause I don't understand your setup.

5. gb33

gb33 Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    You can use the 3lnb as long as you don't want the mpeg4 channels such as HD locals. I too am a bit pissed about this. However, my installer placed the B band filters on the lines, so I don't know about the internal filters. I read that too, but like I said, mine are in line.
    I will say though, that I originally had an antenna diplexed in and it was working fine and I was still recieving signal on the new 99* and 103* sats. granted the signal was low, but it is still low now that I removed the antenna. So maybe just give it a shot.

6. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    There are no internal converters. Earl posted there might be when he didn't get external BBCs with his HR20. They came later and he retracted the statement. Diplexing in the usual setup will not work when the the low Ka band starts being used. The B Band Converter shifts the low Ka band signals up so I still wonder if putting the BBC in line nearer the dish/multiswitch would allow diplexers to be used between the BBC and the H20/HR20.

7. christo76

christo76 Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    OK... not as screwed as thought, but still not totally happy.

Setup is, 2 SD dtivo's, 1 hr20. TV with HR20 can get OTA line, but was very annoying and non-permanent. Other tv with original DVR, is on first floor, with lines underground, so seperate line was no good. Installer said I can diplex to that one after the multiswitch.

SO, I split the OTA, Diplexed one side to a line going to lower tv and ran new second line to upper TV. Both are working...... But how long will the diplexed one work? Is it only working because there are no channels on that band now? or will it always work because its an MPeg2 box? it does get its line through the same multiswitch as the hr20?

Still pissed about no dual buffer and I can't record OTA... Not too mention it just changed the channel I was watching, to record a different show, even after I freed up the other tuner by cancelling the show it was recording. My DTivos never did that.

8. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Diplexing will work with the MPEG2 boxes fine, it's only with the MPEG4 boxes (currently the H20 and HR20) that diplexing is not an option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.