1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dtv still has a crappy guide on the web after 5 years!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Seattlezoid, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Seattlezoid

Seattlezoid Cool Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Dtv web site has one of the worst on line guides for their customers.
    1. Only a 2 hour grid is available.
    2. Why show all the channels instead of a custom grid like zap2it
    3. Sign in required everytime you want to record to your equipment. (Cookies have been around awhile)
    4. Why can't we click on a channel and see all the programs for the upcoming week?
    Dtv has had plenty of time to refine this for their customers and they have not done so.
    You would think that a mega corp like D would make their guide more user friendly and customizable than what they have now.
    I have to use other online guides to find upcoming shows and not have to view channels I don't receive. Why can't this company get this right?
    Any ideas why we still have one of the worst guides to whats on tv when the service costs so much per month?
    Just a rant....Settlezoid

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    A search feature would be nice too.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No disagreement here. I hate their web guide.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. I use the mobile website to program any recordings. Much easier.

- Merg

5. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Indeed.... http://m.directv.com is a great site, even from a browser.

6. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Thanks! Didn't know you could access this from a PC. I'm sure I will use it from my laptop when I'm traveling now.

7. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Excellent.

8. WingNut

WingNut AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    I was a little upset with their mobile application last night trying to record a hockey game on the Center Ice package. I was able to easily search/find the game. Problem is it doesn't show which feed is which. There are 2 HD feeds, but i'm not sure which feed is Detroit's feed and which is Phoenix's feed.

I tried to load the Center Ice schedule that shows this information on my Android device and it wouldn't load.

So I ended up just recording both channels and then figuring it out later.

With Dish it would show "Detroit @ San Jose (DET)" in the title to easily identify what feed you were looking at.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Away team first, home team second.

10. CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    Nice tip...I never thought of using it with a regular browser. Just added it to my favorites.

Thanks for the idea!

11. WingNut

WingNut AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    :goodjob:

Thanks!!!!

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Or just record off the RSN. They're open for games. You can record the great Red Wings off FSNDet on 663. ;) GO WINGS!

13. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    Thank you! Never knew this site would work in a regular browser on a pc as most m.whatever.com's just redirect you to the main site if plugged into Firefox or IE. It's even quicker than The Guide if you already know what show you're looking for to record or want to see a schedule of shows on a channel.

14. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    SO many thanks!

15. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    I found that I couldn't log in to D* main site with my "old" computer system (due to their "flash" log-in process), but my computer works great with the mobile application. The only caveat is that OTA channels can't be programmed using it as they don't show on the mobile app. I did find though that once I logged into D* on the mobile app, I could go directly to their main site and I was logged in, and could then use the main scheduler there (which works well despite my "older computer system").

I wish they would fix their main site (flash) log-in, however. Only other place I've ever had trouble logging in was a national insurance company, and when I let them know, it was fixed in about a week. D*'s response was "too bad", it's your fault for having an outdated system (although to their credit, one of their IT folks suggested using their mobile app).

16. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    If Yahoo can customize my channel list, I can't see why DirecTV can't do the same.

17. WingNut

WingNut AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    :eek2::D

Didn't even think of that.

18. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I wish they would improve their on screen guide with color coding for different types of programs like sports/movies/childrens/news.

19. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
    The DirecTV iphone app is even better than the mobile web page, imo. If you have an iphone or ipod touch, I highly recommend using this for scheduling recordings. I often use it sitting on my couch watching TV instead of the guide :)

20. anleva

anleva Icon

Nov 14, 2007
    Yep, the DirecTV web guide is just awful.

My wish would be that they just do some integration with something like TitanTV. There is a record button for programs on TitanTV and an api, not sure how difficult that would be but the TitanTV web guide is excellent. I use TitanTV first to see what's on and then use the DirecTV mobile site to search for and record remotely. I stay away from the DirecTV web guide as much as possible.