1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Tech????????

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bodlfed66, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodlfed66

bodlfed66 AllStar

Mar 15, 2007
    Called dtv tech today to ask why everytime i plug phone line in dvr, dsl goes down. The techy said I was plugging it in to the wrong port. He said I was accidentally plugging it into the EEETTHHHEEERRNNEETT plug. He said it slowly so i knew what the word was. When I told him that was not possible because of the wireless adapter that was plugged in there he said "that port had not been turned on". I told him i had been using it for months and he asked me if i had modified my box. I let it drop and asked him about a possible bad ground and he said it is grounded. If it wasn't you would get no reception. I thanked him for his time and hung up. I was not mad but expected a bit more from dtv tech. My only complaint is that if I wasn't regularly reading this forum I would totally believe him. I am no techy. I usually read the how to posts 3 times before trying anything new. Maybe they should suggest that their techs read the forums here or anywhere that has dtv real techys on it. P.S. changed bad dsl filter and now does not interupt dsl but call id screen says i need to subscribe even though I do.

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Just like any other sort of technician, there are those who really know there stuff, those that barely know enough to do their job, and those who know just enough to do some real accidental damage :lol:

Sounds like the guy you spoke to wasn't too knowledgeable on the current features of the HR20. All I really trust techs to do is aim my dish.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sad, really sad

4. jrwinter

jrwinter AllStar

Sep 2, 2004
    YOU NEED TO PLUG IN A DSL FILTER TO YOUR DVR LINE!

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Now that's tech support. :)

6. bodlfed66

bodlfed66 AllStar

Mar 15, 2007
    As strange as it sounds, yes. Which threw me off becase I had plugged it in 20 times w/o and 20 times with. On a whim tried a different filter and all solved. Which makes no sense to me because my modem is plugged straight into my wall w/no filter because I use no phone at that plug. I had always thought the filter was there to "filter" noise from the line.

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    The filters for DSL are designed to keep the frequencies that the DSL modem uses free. If you have other devices connected with no filter between them and the modem then they can introduce interference which will cause the DSL modem to drop.

At my families summer house I went the easy route. DSL modem is connected right where the phone line comes in. I split the line from there, 1 side into the modem, the other into a filter which filters the rest of the phone system in the entire house. Putting filters on every single phone device is a pain imo.

8. bodlfed66

bodlfed66 AllStar

Mar 15, 2007
    CLEVER

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That's what you do when you only have one filter. :lol:

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I've done exactly the same thing. Ran a separate DSL feed from the box to the DSL modem and just had a filter in the customer side of the box for the rest of the house. This also stopped the "Must be your internal wiring" claims by BellSouth when there was a DSL problem as I could easily test the single connection to the modem.

11. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    It's a real shame that this type of service is not only accepted at DirecTV, but seems to be getting more and more prevalent. They really need new leadership in their CS group.

12. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    It's a modern-day problem with pretty much all companies.
    For example, I worked for the local electric company where customer service calls used to be taken by the experienced power dispatchers and all worked pretty da*n well. Then in the early 90's the efficiency-economy "experts" got involved and basically said it was foolish to have highly paid dispatchers waste their time doing CSR kind of work. Well, they hired people at minimum wage, gave them two weeks training and voila! CSR's were born and it's been downhill ever since. Now today we have automated phone response systems.:mad:

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    " in the early 90's the efficiency-economy "experts" got involved"
    I attribute this to the "spreadsheet boys", where they do a "what if" and see how the can reduce the overhead with the simple "click of a mouse", but don't realize the cost in customer satisfaction it costs. Well then I make no bones that I'm "old school". :D

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    VOS,

I can't say the company involved, but I used to work for a company that provided outsourced tech support to vendors. We had a fantastic training program and very qualified people on the phone. We lost bids because you can't keep people like that and pay them minimum wage. Quality Customer Support Phone Switches (unlike the DirecTV transfer & disconnect system) also cost millions.

By the mid 90s we had vendors coming to us with requirements like these:

1. NEVER have a caller wait UNDER 10 minutes on hold
    2. No call to last over 10 minutes. (overtime calls not paid)
    3. Callbacks to customers not paid.
    4. Third call from same phone number to be put in indefinite hold loop

We sold the division and got completely out of the business.

There are some quality companies out there that don't do this. They value the customer calls and actually use them in development and bug fixing. One of those customers said...Why would I pay some Market Research company a fortune to run focus groups when I can have my engineers on the phone with actual customers using my product everyday. He had us do something really neat (at least I thought it was). Whenever a call was more than a simple fix type of thing it was put in a queue where one of his development staff (they rotated) would be able to pick up and conference in with our tier 2 rep to better understand/fix the problem.

Connecting with your customers is important and can help to make a far better product.. The Tech Talks I see Dish hold are a good thing.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's unfortunate when a company uses CSRs to get rid of customers instead of service them.

My experiences with DIRECTV CSRs have been almost all positive, I don't blame them when I know more than they do. I've yet to get attitude from one.

Still, there's room for improvement in everything I guess.

16. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Lamont,

You lead a DirecTV blessed life. :)

I have never had a belligerent or rude DirecTV rep...2 of 3 are usually clueless and/or screw-up what they're supposed to do though. Standard rule of thumb with DirecTV...anything requiring one call will take three. Use the website as much and whenever you can.

There are some good ones...you just gotta dig for them.

17. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    IMHO there should be a sticker put on the front of every HR20 that says:

In case of problems, do not call DirecTV, please go to www.dbstalk.com
    :)

18. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My limited experience with CSR is that they are courteous and try to be helpful. Hold times are sometimes long -- calling early in the morning (I mean 6 a.m.!) helps.

However, if you really want to spend a lot of time on the phone try contacting Verizon -- whether it's your phone, DSL, or FiOS it seems to take three connections to get someone that can help. And their voice mail recognition is pitiful. They couldn't even recognize the word "FiOS."

Bill

19. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    I think this situation is similar to other "entry-level" positions in a company. Once the employee has been trained and/or gained some expertise, they seek promotion or move on to a better job with a competitor. Just a thought.

20. derbunk

derbunk Cool Member

Jul 21, 2007
    This is definitely a problem across the board.

Before when I had CommieCast had trouble getting my new HD TV to work on the current box that I had, which was an HDDVR box, trying to use composite cables because the HDMI connection was an empty slot. Called tech and the lady although nice was clueless. Tried to tell me I had to use the HDMI connection. Told her there wasn't one. Yes there is, left hand side of the box on the bottom edge. No ma'am that is a firewire port. Nope that is your HDMI connection.... Never did convince her it was firewire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.