DBSTalk Forum banner

DTV to Begin Negotiations with CBS this Fall

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  espnjason 
#1 ·
There was a mention in an article in the Wall Street Journal today concerning the DTV vs Viacom dispute that DTV begins negotiating this fall with CBS.

#3 ·
There's rarely a let-up in the action when it comes to carriage contracts. Most content providers aren't able (or don't want to) swing the seven year contracts like Viacom's.

#5 ·
If the CBS O&O stations go off the air during the NFL season they had better be prepared for sports bars and individual consumers to throw a fit over the Sunday Ticket blackout policy.

I am sure they have run the numbers but you have to figure that disputes with the O&O will affect far more customers than the disputes with the affiliates run by Raycom, Belo, Tribune, etc.

#6 ·
CBS? That would be a handful (16) of local stations owned by them, CBS Sports Network and (maybe) Showtime. Some of the local stations in big markets, of course.

Hardly a big deal.

#7 ·
bills976 said:
If the CBS O&O stations go off the air during the NFL season they had better be prepared for sports bars and individual consumers to throw a fit over the Sunday Ticket blackout policy.

I am sure they have run the numbers but you have to figure that disputes with the O&O will affect far more customers than the disputes with the affiliates run by Raycom, Belo, Tribune, etc.
You don't think a sports bar could throw up an antenna?

#8 ·
tonyd79 said:
CBS? That would be a handful (16) of local stations owned by them, CBS Sports Network and (maybe) Showtime. Some of the local stations in big markets, of course.

Hardly a big deal.
That's insane. Look at the markets.

CBS Television Stations consists of 28 owned-and-operated stations, including 16 that are part of the CBS Television Network, eight affiliates of The CW Network, two independent stations and two MyNetworkTV affiliates. Among itsstationsareWCBS-TV (New York), KCBS-TV and KCAL-TV (LosAngeles),WBBM-TV (Chicago), KYW-TV and WPSG-TV (Philadelphia),KTVT-TV and KTXA-TV (Dallas-Ft. Worth), KPIX-TV and KBCW-TV (San Francisco), WBZ-TV and WSBK-TV (Boston), WUPA-TV (Atlanta), WWJ-TV and WKBD-TV (Detroit), KSTW-TV (Seattle), WTOG-TV (Tampa-St. Petersburg), WCCO-TV (Minneapolis), KCNC-TV (Denver), WFOR-TV and WBFS-TV (Miami), KOVR-TV and KMAX-TV (Sacramento), KDKA-TV and WPCW-TV (Pittsburgh), WJZ-TV (Baltimore), as well as WCCO-TV's satellite stations KCCO-TV (Alexandria, MN) and KCCW-TV (Walker, MN).

Sure, no big deal. Also, who owns the network feeds fed to the affiliates for NFL Sunday Ticket?

#9 ·
tonyd79 said:
You don't think a sports bar could throw up an antenna?
That completely depends on line of sight which isn't always easy to attain in the top DMAs. I lived in the NYC DMA for 20+ years and I was never able to pull anything in OTA... and I imagine with the mountains surrounding LA that they will face similar problems.

CBS is O&O in the following DMAs:
NYC (#1, Jets home DMA)
LA (#2)
Chicago (#3)
Philadelphia (#4)
Dallas (#5)
San Francisco (#6, Raiders home DMA)
Boston (#7, Patriots home DMA)
Detroit (#11)
Minneapolis (#15)
Miami (#16, Dolphins home DMA)
Denver (#17, Broncos home DMA)
Sacramento (#20)
Pittsburgh (#23, Steelers home DMA)
Baltimore (#27, Ravens home DMA)

You have 7 AFC teams with O&O CBS stations in their home DMA, and all of the top 7 markets. It is in the NFL and DirecTV's best interest to settle this quickly...

#10 ·
The articles surrounding the Tribune dispute in May also mentioned that Discovery Communications will have to re-negotiated with DirecTV for carriage this year. I am guessing both contracts are due to expire Jan. 1st 2013, so we'll see how things will pan out.

#11 ·
Pepe Sylvia said:
Also, who owns the network feeds fed to the affiliates for NFL Sunday Ticket?
The NFL owns the feeds, and DirecTV gets the feeds directly from the networks without having to go through an affiliate. Any CBS (or Fox) affiliates being dropped by DirecTV would have no effect on the NFL Sunday Ticket feeds.

#12 ·
bills976 said:
and I imagine with the mountains surrounding LA that they will face similar problems.
Actually, reception in 95% of the Los Angeles area is pretty good.... they put the antenna's on TOP of those mountains. :D

I am in Orange County, and when I moved in 2010 and I was without TV for 3 days waiting for DirecTV to show up, I jimmy-rigged an antenna out of a few wires and a metal rod INSIDE my house, and I was able to pick up the main networks no problem. There was distortion, but I think that was more because of my McGyvering than the actual reception. I wasn't able to pick up some of the more low-wattage stations though, and NBC was the worst. ABC came in the most clear, CBS was OK. But again, this was a McGyvered antenna, not anything bought in a store.

#13 ·
you know, most of the time these contracts get done before the current one expires and we as customers are none the wiser. It is very rare that one, or both sides, don't negotiate in good faith.

I really don't see the point of starting this thread, when you could have just kept it in the main thread, it's no where near on-topic anymore anyway, this would have fit right in with the theme that thread has taken.

#14 ·
Pepe Sylvia said:
That's insane. Look at the markets.

CBS Television Stations consists of 28 owned-and-operated stations, including 16 that are part of the CBS Television Network, eight affiliates of The CW Network, two independent stations and two MyNetworkTV affiliates. Among itsstationsareWCBS-TV (New York), KCBS-TV and KCAL-TV (LosAngeles),WBBM-TV (Chicago), KYW-TV and WPSG-TV (Philadelphia),KTVT-TV and KTXA-TV (Dallas-Ft. Worth), KPIX-TV and KBCW-TV (San Francisco), WBZ-TV and WSBK-TV (Boston), WUPA-TV (Atlanta), WWJ-TV and WKBD-TV (Detroit), KSTW-TV (Seattle), WTOG-TV (Tampa-St. Petersburg), WCCO-TV (Minneapolis), KCNC-TV (Denver), WFOR-TV and WBFS-TV (Miami), KOVR-TV and KMAX-TV (Sacramento), KDKA-TV and WPCW-TV (Pittsburgh), WJZ-TV (Baltimore), as well as WCCO-TV's satellite stations KCCO-TV (Alexandria, MN) and KCCW-TV (Walker, MN).

Sure, no big deal. Also, who owns the network feeds fed to the affiliates for NFL Sunday Ticket?
Yes, Sunday Ticket is a contract with the NFL, not CBS. CBS just has the rights to carry the broadcast on their affiliate stations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.