1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV to Tivo

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rjhohne, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjhohne

rjhohne New Member

Feb 16, 2003
    This weekend, my RCA Ultimate TV receiver failed. I called RCA (Thompson?) and it's going to cost $149 to exchange the unit. Instead of doing that, I just want to switch over to a DTV/Tivo unit (the new Hughes). My problems are as follows:

I am in a Pegasus service area. A thread on this site seemed to indicate that Tivo may not be available with Pegasus. I called Pegasus, and they told me I could buy the units at Best Buy and Circuit City (but Pegasus did not actually say that they will support a DirecTivo unit).

If Pegasus does work with Tivo, where in the world can I get one without signing up for another service agreement? One online vendor (Orbit??) would not sell to me because I am in a Pegasus area.

Many thanks in advance.

2. TWood

TWood Mentor

Jan 21, 2003
    I can't tell you anything about Pegasus, but I can tell you that I bought two Hughes HDVR2 DVRs at a local HiFi Buys and they didn't make me sign up for any service agreements. Their only requirement was that I activate the receivers within 30 days.

3. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
  4. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    A TiVo will work fine in a Pegasus area, but Pegasus does not bill for TiVo functions.

Directv will send you a seperate bill for the $4.99 monthly service (or they did for the Series 1 units anyway).

Circuit City (and now Best Buy apparently) have agreements in place to sell DirecTiVos to Pegasus customers, while smaller dealers must charge full retail for them as Directv won't pay them on the back-end of a sale to a Pegasus customer.

5. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    AND what's so appalling is that if you were with D* directly, if you have TC Platinum, you would NOT have to pay for the Tivo service, while with Pegasux you STILL do - what a rip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.