1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV's Cinema Movie Coupons Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerCSM, Mar 13, 2010.

1. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

Do they send those every month? One thing I like about them is they say what is currently on and what is coming soon. The coupons are good also. I guess they rotate them each month between SD and HD movies?

Does anyone think that they will ever reduce that 28 day window for movies that did well in the theathers down too zero? It's the movies that did ok or not to well are same day releases right?

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    They come and go... many do not care for them because they are difficult to deal with if you pay your bill on line.

The 28 day window which has recently become so talked about is a (lame) attempt by the studios to sell more DVD's.

Many of DirecTV's PPV movies are being released on the same day as the DVD. Remember that this represents a revenue stream to the studios. The 28 day rule applies to RENTAL movies like those supplied by Netflix.

The studios want the rental of movies delayed so they can sell more DVD's (they think.. they aren'y very bright) and because they don't receive any of the rental money.

Not the same as PPV.

Netflix recently came to agreements with some of the studios on the 28 day rule BUT in exchange, Netflix got the rights to stream movies thru their streaming service that they otherwise would not have received.

3. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

Oh so it was Netflix that came up with the 28 day window and DTV, Dish and Cable just adhear to that window? I guess I can see why they would have that windows so the studios can make money on both the DVD/BluRay rentals and PPV. VOD. If they shrunk the window down 0 then why bother renting DVD's? Except for people who can't afford Satellite and Cable. However, why still have same day releases on PPV, VOD for the movies that didn't do well in the theaters?

4. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    +1 Great point. I would love to use them, but end up tossing them for this very reason.:(

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I pay online, but find no hassle with using the coupon. Fill it out, put it in the mail, and a credit shows up on your next bill. Piece of cake.

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I think you are confused, the 28 day window has nothing to do with Cable or Satellite.

Generally, DirecTV makes PPV movies available at or near the same day that it is released on DVD. The movie may also be available at the same time for rent from Netflix or whoever.

Netflix has an agreement with some studios to wait 28 days after the dvd is released to allow the studio to try to sell more copies. In this case the movie would be available as PPV approx 28 days before Netflix starts renting it.

I am not sure where you are getting 28 days for PPV. The studios generally make the movie available for PPV whenever they release the DVD.

7. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I get that. I guess I just find anything I have to mail a hassle and it's value will have to be more than $5 to make it worth the effort. Now if DirecTV would just apply the discount when I order the movie... but we all know that ain't going to happen.

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I am a bit of a rebate fanatic, so I am used to the hassle. $5 is the bottom of the range for what I will spend time on, though. It ends up being more about principle than the money.

9. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

I am getting that because the movie 2012 came out on DVD/BluRay on March 2nd and it wont be out on DirecTV Cinema until April 2.

10. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You're cherry picking... go to CH1100 and review the list of movies available vs the list of DVD release from Feb 23rd to date... most are there.

PPV has always had variable windows, 28 days isn't a policy.

11. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

From your earlier post before it didn't sound like PPV movies had variable windows. Why do some PPV movies have same day and others have 28? Why can't they all be same day DVD release? Is VOD different from PPV and 2012 is on VOD now and PPV until 28 days later?

12. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
  13. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

The only thing I could see having no windows would be that it would hurt the DVD rental business putting alot of the out of business. I wonder if their would be a day when you would just be able to only rent movies through PPV/VOD or online and only buy DVD/BluRay movies?

14. tinmanohio

tinmanohio Cool Member

Feb 7, 2010
    I have not had a PPV coupon since 1995 when you got one every month. Well...that I can remember. Am I missing something? I have paperless billing, is that a factor?

Bill

15. kenmoo

kenmoo Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    I have paper billing and I haven't gotten a PFV coupon in over a year? Maybe because I never used the ones I did get or the fact that I've never ordered a PFV. DirecTV gave up on me?

16. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I got one a few months back, used it, and now get them every month. Not sure what's in it for DIRECTV, because the only PPV I ever order is accompanied by a coupon. They're not making any money on me.

17. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Same here, we now get them every month. Some are just for a free movie, some are Rent one get one free. I can't complain the coupons seem to be pretty easy to use. We even got a message for free movie via TvMail.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I have yet to get one for a free movie. All of mine (over the last few months) are buy 1 get 1 free. Of course, you're paying upfront and then getting reimbursed.

As for the Netflix 28 day window, Netflix agreed to this as they get the movies a discounted cost from the studios, thus allowing them to keep there costs lower. They felt that the 28 day lag would not adversely affect their customers.

- Merg

19. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Read the certificate. You don't need to ever buy a second movie. While it says "Order 2 movies in high-definition - get $5.99 cash back", you only need to order 1. Even the memo section of the check-like rebate form says "use for your second DIRECTV CINEMA HD movie".

20. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    I didn't get cake, I got pie(in the face):rolleyes::lol: I used my bill+envelope to mail in the coupon. I printed "Coupon Only Bill Paid Online" on the bill. I got back an email that said there was no payment enclosed with the bill and my service would be shut off if I didn't make a payment soon.:eek2: I tried again about a month later in a plain envelope. D claims they never received it.:nono2: You know the old fool me once, fool me twice deal. Thats when I gave up.:lol: