1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual coax cables on single wallplate?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jdud27, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1 of 15
    jdud27

jdud27 New Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Iowa
    I have an HD DVR with two coax inputs. The input cables are on separate wallplates, two studs apart. It was this way when I moved in 5 years ago. It has not been a problem previously because I have a TV stand that covers the jacks, but now I am planning to put the TV on a wall mount and get rid of the TV stand, and set the DVR on a wall-mounted shelf. I don't want to see the cables going from the wall to the receiver, so I would like to install a new wallplate close to the shelf with dual coax connectors.

Is there any reason I couldn't hook both cables to the same wallplate? If not, why wouldn't they have done this on the original installation?

2. Dec 1, 2013 #2 of 15
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Yes you can moce both cables and put them on a single wall plate. The origional installer probably used an existing run to the room for one of the cables and added another drop he ran for the second. Most of the time it's done with the easiest installation access in mind in terms of speed so going to a specified pre exising location may or maynot be in the stars in terms of time and ease of installation.

In any event they make dual coax plates found almost anywhere to solve your issue. You just have to get one of the coaxial cables to the others bay in the wall. Mount the plate behind the DVR somewherebehind where the DVR will be sitting on the mounted shelf.

3. Dec 1, 2013 #3 of 15
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    It's the holidays;

you've upgraded the TV, now get a Genie, and you'll only need one of the wires.

:coffee

(DirecTV; my cut on these sales pitches is 20%)

4. Dec 1, 2013 #4 of 15
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  5. Dec 1, 2013 #5 of 15
    randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    In my house, for whatever reason, they didn't run the cable drop and the OTA antenna drop on the same plate. In fact, they're actually a couple of feet apart on the wall. The house is not old so it wasn't an oversight or later addition. Actually the original owner was a senior electrical engineer but had some strange notions on how he wanted the house wired for video and, bless his heart, he left not one note and labeled nothing. Luckily he had DirecTV and left the dish so all I had to do was keep moving a receiver from wall plate to wall plate and connector to connector to find the right one. I've solved most of his wiring scheme over the years but there are still some I don't know what he had in mind or was doing. In the bedrooms upstairs he had DirecTV only in some and OTA in others. From what I can tell he had two DirecTV receivers and through a set of splitters, which he took, he fed the downstairs single to some of the upstairs rooms and send the signal from the upstairs media room downstairs. Whatever...... :grin:

6. Dec 2, 2013 #6 of 15
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Momoprice has a similar one that i like a little better because it comes in at an angle, though doesnt have the fuzzy stuff... And I prefer all dual gang stuff anymore, gives you more room to fish your hand in the wall if needed.

7. Dec 2, 2013 #7 of 15
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Upgrade to SWM, then you only need one connection for a DVR instead of two, and you can cover the second one with a blank wall plate if you want.

8. Dec 2, 2013 #8 of 15
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Your link goes to an eBay ad for wing nuts, not a blank wall plate.

9. Dec 2, 2013 #9 of 15
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The link works fine for me.

Like inkahauts, I prefer the recessed models because I think they offer just a little more protection from shearing. Either way, toddlers are likely to want to stuff things in the holes if that applies to the user.

In any event, not having an extra termination is usually a good thing so a feed-through solution should be preferred over a bulkhead setup like a duplex jack.

10. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I think you meant that for peds48, as I didn't post any links :)

11. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Actually you did, but apparently didn't mean to. The words "blank wall plate" were a link when I quoted it, but they aren't now.

Edit: I just noticed my post #8 has a link in the word eBay that I didn't do! It was added by VigLink, whatever that is.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    For a single wire and perhaps and HDMI cable as well, this one should suffice

13. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I definitely didn't post any link. If you saw a link in my post, it was either something inserted in the forum that Adblock is blocking for me, or you have some sort of spyware on your computer that inserted it.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Vigil ink is a add on for the forum that will link products to sellers of it when mention and such. In theory at least I believe. The forum added that link.

15. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Do a bit of Google'ing (on TV Installation wall-plates or accessories), or shop around one of the big home improvement stores, and see what is available. you might want to add capacity for some other wiring, too. There are some nice recessed boxes with power outlets, coax and video/audio fittings, etc.

As always, add a piece of string between the plate and the ceiling or crawl space, if possible, so you can add something else later.