1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual HD DVR?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Mr.72, Dec 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    Anyone know whether Dish is working on, planning to, or otherwise going to cleverly try and come up with a way to have one DVR driving to HD TVs?

Is there a true next-generation DVR in the works?

We are about ready to replace our 2nd TV with an HDTV, would be awfully nice if we would have some content on it...

2. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    I think the problem is there is no easy way right now to send HD long distances in your house to TV2; at least that is what I've understood.

Most people only have coax in the walls, and in order to send HD to TV2 via coax it would have to be modulated to ATSC or something similar, then picked up via ATSC tuner on the other end. I think this creates possible issues with copy protection, etc.

I think a "Sling" type solution is in the works, but I'm not sure.

For now, just get a 2nd HD receiver. I have a 722 and 622, both driving single TV's, no biggie, works fantastic.

3. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    Yeah that would work except...

would have to run additional coax AFAIK, also would not be able to share DVR content between the two TVs.

4. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    No more info on this?

OK, so here's the thing. I can watch HD quality TV programs over the internet, using my 11Mbps wireless network card and my 6Mbps or so cable modem.

Most Dish Network HD channels are in the range of 10Mbps, right?

The easier answer is to use wireless networking to get programming from the receiver to TV2 rather than using the coax. Since the Dish 622/722 is basically a Linux box to begin with, just put an 802.11G card in it and allow a set-top box on another TV to receive the HDTV signal over 802.11G instead of cable.

5. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    I'm not sure how much demand there would be for such an expensive solution. At that cost you could get a 2nd receiver. Sure you couldn't share recorded programs, but if the 2nd box was a 622/722 you could record up to 6 programs at once. Activate the EHD and you can carry any programming from one to the other.

6. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    I have 3 HD TVs and 3 HD receivers. I don't really understand the obsession to use a single box for all the TVs.

Just get a 2nd HD receiver.

7. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    They bought Slingbox for a reason. :)

I suspect they'll eventually move to a system with a single DVR receiver connected to multiple set-top boxes. It would be less expensive, easier to maintain, and allow sharing of the DVRed programming throughout the house.

-- Roger

8. Sharpinv

Sharpinv Cool Member

Mar 14, 2006
    FYI - I am running signal to two HD TV's on my 722 via HDMI for the "local" TV, and a 100 foot component cable for the remote TV. The component signal over 100 feet is just as good or better than my six foot HDMI signal. Monoprices sells the cable for $40.

9. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    ^^^ This is what I plan to do as well to a 2nd HDTV in my offce, but the 722's HD outputs are only for "TV 1"; so both TV's would have to watch same program.

I'm glad to hear component goes far so well; I was going to get a 75-foot component cable from Monoprice and hope for the best!

10. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    Both tvs watching the same program would be a royal pain and make it not even worth it. The whole point of us having two tvs in the house is so we can watch two different things.

I guess I'll put off buying a second HDTV until Dish gets their act together or I switch service providers.

11. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    I don't believe any providers have a box that can drive two HDTV's with separate tuners yet. I'm not sure about U-Verse, but I keep hearing people say their DVR's suck bad, so I haven't looked into it.

12. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Looks like that 2nd HDTV will not be on your Christmas list for a looooong time. :)NO other provider offers a single reciever with a 2 HD tuner output so I'm not sure who you will switch to.

13. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Only one source of recorded programs. If you have two DVRs, Murphy's Law dictates that the show you want to watch in Room A will only be recorded on the receiver in Room B. With one DVR feeding two TVs, that can't happen. You can watch all the content on either one without worrying about duplicating recordings, etc.

Anyone remember the Rabbit? It was used to share the output of the household VCR to multiple TVs back when a VCR was an expensive investment. A transmitter/receiver pair cost about $100 and each additional receiver was around $25. Then VCRs dropped below $100 and it became cheaper just to buy two. What we need now is an HD Rabbit.

14. d.glen

d.glen Cool Member

Aug 2, 2006
    I thought I read something about television manufacturers providing wireless HD in new sets, once again there are 2 competing technologies. Maybe there will be some news at this years CES.

Have a look at www.wirelesshd.org

15. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Heck, as far as I know, no other provider has a dual output receiver of any type, much less HD? (correct me if I'm wrong of course).

16. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! Have you ever heard of DRM - it has nothing to do with Dish "getting their act together". Just get another receiver - you'll have to do that with any other service provider.

17. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Not exactly true. While there may not be a single HD DVR to feed two independent HD sets yet, DirecTV is currently testing its multi-room-viewing, by networking an HD DVR with an HD box, the HD box can provide its own live HD programming at the same time also stream recorded HD shows from the HD DVR in another room with the usual DVR trickplays.

The feature is not officially released yet but anyone who wants to can participate in the test.

I think Mr. 72's point is valid in that not everyone cares about having to remember to record various shows on different DVRs. Just record on one DVR, and able to watch them from any location in true HD. Saves cost too because an HD box costs a lot less to make and to have.

E* should be able to come up with a similar plan, we just don't know if they are working on it or not. But for me an even better arrangement is to have a large external hard drive connected to the router, then multiple HD boxes (vip211s for example) are networked together and can record onto the external drive at the same time and playback any recordings from that drive.

E* has already turned the VIP211s into HD DVRs, the next step shouldn't be too difficult. Those 1TB external hard drives are available (called NAS drives?) that allow networked PCs to share the drives.

18. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006

19. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    Aha, so I should buy another HDTV, even though I can't watch anything but SD on it?

I don't care so much about having two HD outputs, but having one set of content (one DVR) that shares across two different TVs will be fine with me.

set top box on one TV, DVR on the other, both share the same content. Should be real easy to network a STB with the DVR. If Dish opened the source on their DVR software then I bet it'd be less than a week before Linux hackers had this kind of thing working.

20. ClaudeR

ClaudeR Godfather

Dec 6, 2003
    Sounds kind of like a FIOS Media Center to me. Although the FIOS box only allows timers to be set from the main TV, and it only streams SD so far.

Dish will definitely have better plans than FIOS or cable, just a few revisions to make the plans work. ;)