1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Inputs on HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stavs, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stavs

stavs New Member

May 13, 2007
    Hi. I am a new DirecTV subscriber and I was wondering why the HR20 has dual inputs? My installation went pretty poorly and the installer barely spoke Englisg so he couldnt explain much when I got home.

Thanks,

Stavs

2. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    So you can watch one program while another is recording, or record two programs at one time.

3. stavs

stavs New Member

May 13, 2007
    So its quite different than my old cable DVR which had a dual tuner, but it was fed off of one input.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, it is different than cable. Each satellite receiver or tuner (dual tuners in DVR) must have it's own independent connection back to the dish, because it is a 2-way communication link, and only the specifically requested satellite information is being passed from the dish to the tuner.

If you try to split the line, one of the tuners may not get the proper signal, depending on which specific channels you are trying to tune to on each tuner.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.