1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Live Buffers: How you would like to see them implemented?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SockMonkey, Feb 9, 2007.

How would you like to see DLBs implemented?

1. Two 30-minute buffers is enough for me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Two 45-minute buffers is good enough and won't use more recording space.

21.2%
  3. Two 90-minute buffers. I don't want to give up the 90 minutes I'm used to.

48.8%
  4. Two 120-minute buffers! Who cares about recording space?

23.9%
  5. I do not want DLBs enabled on my HR20.

2.0%
  6. Other (explain in a reply to this thread)

4.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 9, 2007 #1 of 64
    SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    As a Tivo user for a few years, when the HR20 came out I was disappointed to learn that dual live buffers (DLBs) did not exist on it. However, I still leased an HR20 and to this day I really do hope that DLBs are enabled some day.

When I first started using the HR20, and I realized that the single live buffer was 90 minutes in length, I was pleasantly surprised. The first question that came to mind was... if they enable DLBs, will the length of the buffer have to drop.

Since the live buffer is actually being recorded to disk, if two 90-minute live buffers were enabled, that's a significant chunk of extra disk space that would be unavailable for recordings. On my HDVR2 and HR10s, the DLBs were 30 minutes each. I always thought it would be nice to have at least 60 minutes on those, but it didn't concern me that much.

So what would be your ideal implementation of DLBs? I'm including a poll in this to see what you all think.

Options:
    - Two 30-minute buffers is enough for me.
    - Two 45-minute buffers is good enough and won't use more recording space.
    - Two 90-minute buffers. I don't want to give up the 90 minutes I'm used to.
    - Two 120-minute buffers! Who cares about recording space?
    - I do not want DLBs enabled on my HR20.
    - Other (explain in a reply to this thread)

My vote is:
    Two 90-minute buffers. I don't want to give up the 90 minutes I'm used to.

I've become accustomed to the 90 minutes and would prefer not to have to see them shortened. However, I would prefer to lose some buffer length to get DLBs.

I look to reading your responses. And, I admit, there's somewhat of a dual agenda here... basically, since we know that D* is reading these forums... this may be helpful to them in making a decision on DLBs if they're ever implemented.

Bob

P.S. Please... let's not turn this into any type of anti-DLB vs. pro-DLB debate. That's not the intention.

2. Feb 9, 2007 #2 of 64
    Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I voted for the two 45 minutes, though, truth be told, it matters not to me one way or another. If they were there, I would use them (particularly if there's a hockey game on Thursday nights, when the family has like 47 shows recording all night long). If they don't add them, it's not the end of the world for me.

Two 45 minutes buffers would be nice though.

3. Feb 9, 2007 #3 of 64
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I will go with Two 90-minute buffers.
    I doubt that disc space would be effected much.

4. Feb 9, 2007 #4 of 64
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I voted two-90's but two-60's would be fine too :)

Cheers,
    Tom

5. Feb 9, 2007 #5 of 64
    Nolzman

Nolzman Legend

Aug 29, 2003
    My feelings also. 60 minutes would be a good compromise between tht 30 and 90 minutes crowds. Would have preferred the poll replace the 45 minute choice with 60 minutes.

6. Feb 9, 2007 #6 of 64
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    I voted two 90's, but once you do the hard part and implement dual buffers, wouldn't it be a simple matter to make the buffer size user selectable? It always bothered me that I couldn't do that with my Dtivo. It just feels like an oversight. JMO.

7. Feb 9, 2007 #7 of 64
    SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    You know, I meant to have that 60 minute option in there as well. Oversight on my part. Sorry.

Anyone know if you non-moderators can update a poll once it's started? I also like the suggestion that the length be user selectable.

Bob

8. Feb 9, 2007 #8 of 64
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    I said 2 - 90 Minute Buffers. But I would be just as happy with 60 minute ones. I like the half hour increments. I think 45 is just a little too short.

9. Feb 9, 2007 #9 of 64
    jheda

jheda DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 19, 2006
    i said 2 30s were fine...........its all about flipping between periods, between half innings

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    DLB's negates the whole sales pitch to the wife on why I got 2 HR20's.... :D

My answer to the Poll Question - Only on someone else's machine ..but that's not an answer option. :lol:

11. feschiver

feschiver Legend

Dec 19, 2006
    before i vote is the dlb memory or disk:confused:

12. jheda

jheda DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 19, 2006
    you are too funny.........the things we dont tell our wives only scares me to the extent what they are not telling us...

13. cbearnm

cbearnm Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    How about software selectable bufffer lengths?

That parameter is already hard coded in the software, adding another option within the Setup Menu for buffer length would be easy. Tying that value to where the hard coded length is, would not be rocket science.

This option give the best of all worlds. If you do not want DLBs, set them to 0. I voted for 45 minutes, but this method will allow those that want 90 minutes to do so as well. Or even as little as 5 minutes. (Not sure how useful that is, but hey, you should be able to do it.)

To me, it's such a simple solution, that it might be too obvious.

14. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    I don't know for sure, but I assume the current buffer is disk and therefore future DLBs would also be disk. When my HR20 is not recording, I still hear disk activity so I'm pretty sure the buffer is being writen to disk.

Bob

15. jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I voted other.

Here is why: I think it would be nice if you could choose how much to give each buffer. I assume that it will be easiest to maintain a total of 90 minutes for both.

So let us choose. one that does 30, the other does 60. Or 15 and 75, etc.

16. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    How would I like to seem them implemented?

QUICKLY! ;)

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Actually...she doesn't want to know too much about how these things work...just use them. :D

18. namja

namja AllStar

Jan 8, 2007
    I voted two 30-minutes, and I really, REALLY want dual buffers. But ... more than that though is that I want the one buffer that I already have to work better. Too often, I can't go back and watch because of the system freezing and a host of other problems. Okay, we have tons of threads for issues so I'll stop.

Anyway, back to DLB, I'd like two 30-minute buffers when viewing live, but if something is paused, then it should be buffering 90 minutes.

19. jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Rich mans' 90 min DLB: 2 x HR20 and TV with PIP! :p

Seriously, I would like to see DLB at 90 minutes each, but I really don't find myself missing that feature too much. As a quasi programmer, I don;t see this being too much trouble to implement (granted I don't know the first thing about the HR20 programming). I mean it already has the ability to record 2 streams at the same time, so what is the difference? Both streams are in "record" mode without saving the data. Poof BLD!

20. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    As I've posted in the past, real men use two HR10s with PIP and have 4 tuners going. :)

I'm just waiting for HMC with 4 tuners (more?), PIP builtin, etc. so I can have two of them and have PIP, PIP, PIP, PIP :) Quad view, make my own mix.

Cheers all,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.