1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual monitor calibration help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Indiana627, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Upgraded to a dual monitor setup about 6 weeks ago. Initially it was my old 4x3 monitor and then a new 16x9. Last week my 4x3 was replaced with a duplicate of my 16x9, so now both are the same monitor (Lenovo LT1952p). Both were ordered and delivered to us at the same time, it's just I didn't get the 2nd one until about 5 weeks after the first. The problem is they don't match color wise. The new one has a strong reddish / purplish tint to it, and no matter how many times I've tried to calibrate it using the Windows 7 calibration tool, I can't get it to match the first Lenovo (sometimes I think I make it worse). The newer one is also darker.

Any tips on getting the 2nd one to be a better match to the 1st? Any free software to try?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Have you tried adjusting the luminance? (brightness). That can make colors appear quite different.

If you have a friend who's a pro photographer —or a good amateur— they'll have a bit of hardware to calibrate their monitors. Borrow same and calibrate both monitors.

As to software only, I'm on Macs, so dunno what's built in, or is available third party.

3. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Yes I've tried that. Just makes the whites too washed out usually. Plus even with it all the way up, the colors still aren't as bright as the 1st monitor.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Have you swapped the outputs to verify that the display adapter isn't calibrated wrong?

It would be fruitless to diddle with the monitor if the display adapter (or its software parameters) is the source of the trouble.

5. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Bad Monitor, RMA

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's possible... but after spending a decade chasing color calibration professionally I'll be honest with you it's very hard without specific tools. The Windows7 tools are really just a starting point and shouldn't be relied upon for professional work.

I'm sure you've already factory reset both monitors and confirmed that their basic settings are the same. If they are of vastly different ages then they will not match that way.

If you are serious about calibration you will need a tool to assist you. Although I have not used this one personally:

http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=1147&ca=2

The company is well regarded and the science behind these devices is mature, so it should be able to get you where you need to go.

7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    $270. You should be able to get a puck and software for under $100 that'd do the trick, if you can't borrow same.

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, professional tools carry professional price tags. You're right.

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ain't that right! I witnessed and argument where one guy was insisting the other buy a $400 calibrator.... to calibrate a $300 monitor!

Was your calibration work for photography, videography or other? My puck hasn't seen the light of day- or the light of a monitor- for several years.

10. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm in marketing and do a lot with product photos and catalogs and brochures, etc. I'll try the suggestions made above and see if that helps. Both monitors were purchased at the same time, though I didn't check the manufacture date of each.

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    My calibration work was as a commercial print provider for national marketing campaigns and historical publications. This was in the days when people actually printed things.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A precise calibration on a monitor may better than double its value. You should see what they charge to certify a home weather station.