1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Receiver newbie needed DVR help!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by joe42, Sep 19, 2009.

1. joe42

joe42 AllStar

Nov 5, 2006
    Okay so I finally swapped out my 2 seperate DVR receivers for 1 of the Dual Tuner ones.

Is it possible to pick if it records on TV1 or TV2 when setting up recordings each time? I know you can set which one it will default to and then if you set a 2nd timer at the same time it'll go to the other one but I was wondering if there was a way I could pick each time without having to go into the preferences and switch it before selecting.

Actually the best thing would be that recordings I setup from TV1 default to TV1 and ones I setup from TV2 would default to TV2 if they didn't have any conflicting timers. Is this possible?

Thanks

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    When in dual user mode, you can do exactly what you want. You restrict the dvr to the tuner you are viewing. And the recordings are available to both outputs.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Some info...

In dual mode, timers you set from TV1 are recorded on TV1 (although you can force them to TV2 I believe). Meanwhile, TV2-defined timers fire on TV2.

In single mode, you can set the default to use tuner 2 first... but in reality, in single mode it matters ZERO. Why? Because whenever a timer is getting ready to fire, the receiver will automatically first use the tuner you aren't currently watching on TV1. I don't even know whether I'm watching tuner 1 or tuner 2 unless I really scrutinize to figure out which is which.

4. joe42

joe42 AllStar

Nov 5, 2006
    They didn't do that though. I have TV1 as my default one because its where we'll watch most of our shows. TV2 is the one the kids watch tv on. My son set a show from TV2 to record tonight but the DVR said it was going to record on TV1. Now will my wife and I be able to watch something on TV1 without messing up his recording?

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    There's something you're not saying here -
    IF your son used the TV2 remote to create the show - then it should record on Tuner2. In dual mode, you can't set recordings for the other tuner from your remote.

The other thing you can do is to delete it on TV1 and they can recreate the timer on TV2

6. joe42

joe42 AllStar

Nov 5, 2006
    I think I'm in dual mode. The orange light on the front is the one with the 2 screens showing.

He used the TV2 remote on the tv hooked to TV2 and a little green circle with a 1 appeared in the guide on the one he picked. I deleted it from TV2 went into preferences under "Recording Plus" and changed the "Recording Preference" to TV2 then went back and set his show and it went to TV2. I then went into the TV1 room and picked a random show to set a timer with no conflicts (just to test) and it appeared in the guide as a blue circle with a number 2. I checked the "Recording Plus" from TV1 and the "Recording Preference" was now set to TV2. So basically every time I set a recording it looks like I have to go into the preferences and change this "Recording Plus" feature? I wish it'd do like you are saying its suppose too. Oh and its a 622 model too.

7. joe42

joe42 AllStar

Nov 5, 2006
    I just figured it out! I disabled the "Recording Plus". I just have to go to the each tv to setup recordings if I want to record 2 shows at the same time.

8. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Sorry, I omitted the disable of Recording Plus. I has been awhile since I changed anything on the receiver and rarely use it in dual mode. Love the PIP feature too much.

9. joe42

joe42 AllStar

Nov 5, 2006
    Yeah when I looked at it I misread it to mean that was for single mode only. I disabled it and I had a places where I had 2 recordings setup and it put a red x on a few of them so I thought it wouldn't work. I finally realized I'd have to go into the other room to set them.

Anyway my question I know you can block certain content and ratings but is it possible to block specific recordings?

10. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Ratings and content locks should also block recordings.

11. joe42

joe42 AllStar

Nov 5, 2006
    Yeah it will but the ratings they sometimes choose are odd. For example most Rated R movies edited for TV I'll usually let my oldest son watch but they still have that R rating in the guide. One that isn't edited I want to check first before he watches.

Another thing is I blocked "N" and "SC" in content and went back and it told me "Underdog" from the Disney Channel was blocked since it had an "SC" in the ratings. I was thinking more R level "SC" and not Disney level.

The show Psych on USA I noticed had an "NR" rating. If I block Rated R it automatically blocks NC-17 and AO/NR shows. Does this mean the show Psych will be blocked because of it having the NR? A show I'd consider to be more PG level?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

12. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    yeah. the ratings block are only as good as the rating descriptor in the guide data. We have 2 young boys who use TV2 so we also use channel blocks leaving the kids channels like Disney, Nick, etc unblocked. this helps and between the channel blocks, rating blocks and v-chip blocks on the TV itself it has wroked pretty good for 3 years. the problem is when our college son comes home for the summer. we tried relaxing the blocks so he wouldn't have to do so much work to watch TV but it did not quite work out so we went back to all of the blocks an the college son has to "work" a little to watch what he wants.

Hope you get it figured out. Just monitor what is being allowed to TV2 until you figure it out.

13. joe42

joe42 AllStar

Nov 5, 2006
    Thanks. That's kind of how it is for us. If I had a college aged son I'd probably just give him the password and tell him he'd have to punch it in. My kids are 14 and 5. I'm not about to let my 14 yr old son have the password. I can remember being 14 and the kinds of shows I'd watch or try to watch. :) I've blocked Rated R and several channels. Hopefully that'll work.

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Stewart,

In Single Mode "Record Plus" is grayed out and not selectable.

15. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    Tell me about it. My 10 year old always watches me like a hawk when I have to unlock TV2 for them to watch some movie (usually NR because it was direct to DVD or something) trying to figure out the code. Of course I told him if he DID ever figure it out and I caught him watching inappropriate shows the TV would be put in the attic for a month.

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Sorry, my mistake on that front... In my zeal to reply I confused myself!

You're absolutely correct... and the rest of my post actually explains why the option doesn't apply to single mode... so at least I was only partially wrong.

17. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Your explanation seemed spot on! :)