1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

duckduckgo

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Jul 26, 2013.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just channel surfed into an interview on Russia Today in which Tomm Harmon was interviewing a principal of the search engine, duckduckgo. He says that the popular search engines use some kind of filter bubble based on your searching history, and soon tend to prioritize your searches in conformity with the selections you have made, thereby isolating you from opposing points of view. Russia Today probably has this interview available on its website.

Is anyone familiar with this search engine?

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I Googled duckduckgo and found this fairly recent article on a British website:

[​IMG]

Little known search engine that refuses to store data on users doubles web traffic amid NSA tapping scandal

DuckDuckGo, based in Pennsylvania, does not share user data with sites
    This means fewer advertisements and results that are not skewed for users
    Firm saw web traffic double in the wake of Snowden NSA tapping leak
    Pro-privacy search engine one of several companies growing in this arena

By Helen Collis

PUBLISHED: 03:43 EST, 11 July 2013 | UPDATED: 02:14 EST, 23 July 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2360059/DuckDuckGo-little-known-search-engine-refuses-store-data-users-doubles-web-traffic-amid-NSA-tapping-scandal.html#ixzz2aG2PnTge

The article is followed by a closed string of 46 reader comments. My favorite one is:

And once this site reaches half a billion searches a day, they'll sell out to Google or Yahoo!

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I read a review about it awhile ago and tried it. Didn't see anything that would make me use it.

Rich