1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumbing down the liberal way

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Richard King, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    http://www.dailyiowan.com/news/2004/08/23/Opinions/Dumbing.Down.The.Liberal.Way-703930.shtml

2. Paladin

Paladin Banned User

Jun 20, 2004
  3. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Someone once did a study of levels of education and how they related to party affiliation. High School dropouts and graduates who never attended college were overwhelmingly Democrat, as were those with more than 8 years in college (usually those pursuing multiple and/or advanced degrees and doctorates). On the other hand, those with "some college", AAs, BAs, and BSs, were strongly Republican. Those with Masters degrees and about 6-8 years of school were evenly split.

This led one conservative columnist (whose name I forget) to label the Democratic Party as the "party of the over- and under-educated". A little simplistic, perhaps, but that statement does seem to have a bit of truth to it. :D

4. toenail

toenail Hall Of Fame

Oct 15, 2002
    Some interesting numbers re the above:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=p...vsg3locq0ul5jrv22jfgt35tocc7ka@4ax.com&rnum=1

5. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
  6. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    lee, you do know the difference between a student and a Professor or administrator, right?

7. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Lyle, the complaint is that the colleges churn out liberals through some sort of mind control, or whatever. As someone who actually works at a college, I am taken aback by claims of rampant liberal bias. Show me a liberal Business or related department at any college or university in the US. The Business schools are packed with moderate right to hard right ideoligists in the US.

Anyway, back to original point, data posted by righties on this very discussion group supports my position that colleges and universities in the US do not churn out liberals. Rather the exact opposite appears to be true.

To take this discussion further, you can look at data that shows that women, regardless of educational attainment, vote more for democrats. Data shows minorities vote for democrats. Data shows that white men lean strongly toward republicans.

Finally, the last report I saw showed that the higher the educational attainment, the more moderate your views. I have some stuff to get done this morning, but I'll try to dig up a link so we can take a look at the report.

8. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    I've never really heard the complaint phrased that "colleges churn out liberals", but rather that they are ruled by them and all dissenting viewpoints are squashed. The complaint is that most college campuses are extremely hostile places for a conservative. Even though liberals may be a statistical minority on campus, they have the full support of the teachers and administration, and can make a conservative student's life hell if he dares reveal his political leanings. Liberals are always the loudest and most confrontational on any campus, and that's because no one keeps them in check.

Mike S. Adams, a Professor at UNC Chapel Hill, has documented some of the worst abuses of this sort in his book "Welcome to the Ivory Tower of Babel". If you want to read some examples he documents on a regular basis in his column, just check him out online:
    http://www.dradams.org/

However, as I mention in the study I read (and mind you I'm going on memory here, I have no link as I read it some time ago), there is certainly a class of college student who does fall in love with the liberal Utopian theories. Those student tend to spend a lot more time in college than the rest of us, and many never leave the ivory tower. That's why the group of people who spend more than 8 years at college are at the other end of the bell curve and, like the high school dropouts, vote Democrat by a wide margin.

Women voting patterns can pretty much be boiled down to abortion. There is an amazing percentage of women who are one-issue voters when it comes to the "A" word. When abortion is off the table, those women vote Republican in stronger numbers. Case in point: Schwarzenegger and Pete Wilson, both pro-choice Republicans, got a solid female vote in their California elections.

As for minorities, chock that up to two issues. Issue one: A disproportionate number of minorities are in the "high school dropout" category which votes Democrat religiously. Another factor is the fact that Republicans have never embraced the reverse-racism of LBJ's "Great Society" (which, in 40 years, has managed to turn minorities into a perpetual victim class forever dependent on government, and has managed to destroy the concept of family in some minority groups, mostly in the black community; renowned economist Thomas Sowell has published many excellent books and articles on the subject).

And white males solidly voting Republican... well, that comes as no surprise when you consider that white males shoulder more than 80% of the total tax burden!

edit: Dr. Mike S. Adams Teaches at UNC Wilmington, not Chapel Hill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.