1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumping DTV for INternet streaming

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by bytored, Dec 11, 2011.

1. bytored

bytored New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Hi all.
    I have been thinking of dumping my DTV and go the internet route, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, ect. Question is where do I start with the internet streaming? What do I need if anything to do this and is the cost VS DTV worth it? <_<

My household really does not watch a whole lot of TV except for some of the network stations and deadliest catch and maybe some of the Nat Geo stuff and right now I am really enjoying Paladium for the music shows. As of right now we are paying $82.00 a month for a bunch of crap on DTV and 90% of the channels are not watched. :mellow:

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

Thanks

Ron

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I suggest you suspend your DirectTV account rather then dropping them. This will give you time to experience streaming and see if it's right for you. If not you can reactivate your DirecTV account.

3. Tester

Tester New Member

May 20, 2003
    Where do you start? It may not be far away from you already. Do you happen not own a new TV? There is a good chance apps are built in that are used for content streaming.

You would used services such as NetFlix or Hulu Plus for content. Both run about $8 a month. Netflix is more movies and Hulu is more geared towards television shows. You would want look at the service to see if it has items you are looking to watch seeing you have things you normally look for.

But you are not alone, more and more people are "cutting the cord" based on the high costs of cable TV and the like and more or less using services to get only what they want. Content streaming is the way things are headed.

If you no not have a TV that has built in players, new Blu-ray player have them or you can even pick up a Ruku box for as little as $49. (http://www.roku.com)

4. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  5. rog47776

rog47776 Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    As others have stated, check the various services available and see if they have the content you do watch. Also, there quite a few options for streaming / recording free, over-the-air HD. I'm sure those are posted elsewhere, however let me know and I can provide a quick list.

6. bytored

bytored New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks everyone.

Yes suspending DTV is a great idea. Hadn't thought of that.

@ Dave Bott... No I don't have a "New" TV with the apps built in, But I have a PS3 I can use for netflix, hulu and the others. My newest tv is a couple years old and this is right before they started coming out with the built in apps i believe but that is in the gaming room/mancave B). I need to update the old Sharp Aquas in the front room.

7. bytored

bytored New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    With the Email I just recieved from DTV about rates going up 4% or about 4$ per month I am getting very close to making this a reality.

I also just found out I am month to month with them so no contract holding me back at this point either. :D

8. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I still have 12 months with Dish, then I'm cord cutting :)

9. Cyberdave

Cyberdave New Member

Mar 16, 2012
    We decided that we are cutting the cord from DISH and so rather than suspend I bought two ROKU LT players (for our two SDtv's) (since they have 30 day money back). I hooked one up yesterday and it works perfectly! I also have a few year old Philips DVD player with a USB port which I hook up either a USB drive or a hard drive with media files. I like that Roku gets a lot of IPTV channels and I wished the WD TV Live did as well. Otherwise between the two they make the perfect alternative! Short of hooking a computer up directly to the TV.

10. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    And another option you may want to look into is the PlayOn service that runs many other channels from your PC to your ROKU.