1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring Software for HD Material

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Fontano, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    For the longest time I have used a program called DVD Lab
    http://www.mediachance.com/

It was absolutely fantastic for authoring DVD's.

So now I am starting to venture in creating HD-DVD and BluRay DVD's with my HD Material. For now, I am just going to go to DVD Media for short videos and things like that.

But it appears that DVD Lab , and DVD Lab Pro are really no longer being updated and they don't appear to support HD-DVD and BluRay formats.

Does anyone know of a quality program that can be used for authoring HD-DVD's and BluRays ?

Typically I do all my editing and video effect items in one program.
    Save the output to standard video files.

Then use another to encode it to proper format
    Then use DVD Lab to create my menu's, chapters, and overall DVD layout.
    Then make a DVD directory on the hard drive, then use Nero to go from hard drive to disk.

It is a tedious process, but I have never found a single program that can beat the flexibility and consistancy of this method.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DVD is a Standard-Def format; while you can put HD data on the disc, a standard DVD player can't do anything with it. At best, you'd need a PC that can read the data of the disc as data and display it.

If you want HD in a format that is usable outside of a computer, you'll need a Blu-Ray burner, Blu-Ray blank media, and software that will burn Blu-Rays.

3. Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    I am very much aware that DVD is an Standard-Def Format.

My Pinnacle System will allow me to take a video, put it into HD-DVD format and burn to a single layer, or dual layer DVD Media. And it will play in my XBOX360.

I haven't upgraded yet to Pinnacle 12 yet to see if can do the same in a blu-ray standard layout yet. As for using Pinnacle for this. It just isn't upto snuff for anything more then a couple menus at best. Difficult to do subtitles, multiple audio streams, and other advanced things.

These are for my home videos or captures via my various camcorders and capture devices.

DVD-Lab did the authoring of the disk.
    You provided it the encoded video and audio files.
    You then layed out your menu's, chapters, transistions, subtitiles, multiple audio tracks, angles ect in DVD-LAB.

It would then compile all the vts files and basically create the DVD.
    Then you could use the burning tool of your choice to get it the rest of the way.

So what I am looking for is something that will do that for the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats. I am most certainly looking to get a Blu-Ray burner, but with media at around $15 a pop. I don't want to be making too many coasters.

What was nice about DVD-Lab was that when it was on the hard drive, I could use Cyberlink or other DVD playback software to load up the "disk" and check it all out, before burning to the media.

4. Dad61

Dad61 AllStar

Sep 26, 2008
    Sony Blu-Print

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Roxio Easy Media Creator 10