1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

dvd recorder advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Nabisco, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    looking to buy a recorder, any things you think i should get? if i can record hd that would be great or at least something that looks real good also something that can take the abuse, i plan to use it and i dont want to spend money on a piece of crap

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have been through several over the years and learned one thing that generic isn't the way to go for two reasons, they don't last that long and the recording quality is quite poor. Some manufacturers machines will not record movies encoded with Macrovision (DRM) and some ignore it. Can be frustrating to determine as the specs don't usually reflect this. Currently their are no consumer units that will record HD. The best you can get would be S-video inputs. You can get good results with shorter recording times.

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I have been looking to get one to transfer VHS tapes and one of the best cheaper ones that always gets good reviews are the Toshiba units. They have one right around $100 that seems overall like a decent machine.

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I like the Toshiba DR410 so well, I bought a second one:) Nice machine for the money.