1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Ripper (preferably free)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SayWhat?, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Free, or at least cheap.

Looking for a way to rip some DVDs of TV series to an HDD for easier access. I've found a few, but it's hard to tell which sites to trust anymore.

Also, if you have a series on disc, how long should it take to process 6 or 8 half-hour episodes?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    It maybe old , but I like DVD Shrink 3.2 if you can find it.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I use a mix of DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter depending on the title....

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I read something about Shrink earlier, but it seemed like it was intended for making a backup DVD, not extracting to a hard drive.

5. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    DVD Decrypter for me.

6. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
  7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Looked at some of those earlier too.

What format do I want them to end up in, or does it matter? I want to put them in folders by show titles to be selected by episode for play.

8. zuf

zuf Icon

May 24, 2007
    Southern Utah
    I think the answer to that depends on how you plan to play them back. For example, I like to have mine end up in a single video file, usually .m4v or .mkv. Both offer nice compression so I don't need one-to-one disk space based on the size of the source DVD or Blu-ray. I add the video files to my Plex server (http://www.plexapp.com/) on the PC and then stream them from my Roku. My kids love it because all of our movies are available on-demand without swapping discs. I like it because the discs aren't getting scratched up anymore. I haven't had to buy the same movie twice because the kids scratched the first one for awhile now.

I use DVDFab HD Decrypter (http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-decrypter.htm) to do a one-to-one rip of the disk and then feed that to HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/) to create the .m4v or .mkv file. I purchased the commercial version of DVDFab, which has the capability of ripping straight from disk to .m4v file, but I've found that I end up with audio sync issues when I do that, so I've switched to the two step process instead.

9. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
  10. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Handbrake is hands down the best DVD ripper.

Kevin

11. Spaingod

Spaingod New Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I also need to do that and found this theme on google, thanks for so many options, as Kevin F said Handbrake is the best, it's awsome because it's also free! I have tried it but I wonder if there is some video quality loss on output video, it seems not good...:nono2: I have rip my DVDs to mp4 but really not good...