1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DVDs and Games no longer from Blockbuster by mail

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Grandude, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Just got the message. No more by mail...........shucks!

2. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    I also just got the same email. All DVD and Games by mail ending on Sept 19. Can't say it was a great service to begin with. Once the stores in the area closed it became very marginal with the long waits for Blu Ray DVDs.
    Much better deal just using RedBox in my area along with the coupons it puts them at $1 each. Might be time to look at some additional cost cutting on Dish. Between Dish and Internet service, I am close to $200/mo. Just had to add the service plan when one of my 722s died.

3. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    As it happens, my BB@H was automatically canceled this weekend after the 6 month half off promo ended. I got the email today anyhow.

I still have a BB store about 8 miles away so I could trade the mailed DVD for a BluRay but that's a gallon of gas with 2 round trips.

The DVD service was really annoying, so I won't miss that. If they reduce the price by half, I'd probably sign up just for the channels included. It would certainly make the wife happy!!

4. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    This is the 1st I've heard of this. So no more Blockbuster Blu-Rays via mail? So that means streaming only & to get that, you must have a DVR, right? Then that means for those of us who don't have a DVR, we're out of luck, right? So is there any way then to opt out of this part of the service to save the $10 fee?

Ken

5. Smegal

Smegal Cool Member

Nov 14, 2004
    I did not receive any email regarding the discontinuation of the Blockbuster by mail service. Is this for just the Dish Blockbuster program?

6. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Can't you cancel your blockbuster portion?
    [ You'll lose the extra channels, tho]

7. pmjones

pmjones AllStar

Aug 3, 2012
    If you use the DVD service and don't want to see it go, I would suggest letting them know. I just did.

There are promises of expanded options on the streaming front, but with limited rights, the DVD library gave us a pretty complete selection. I would put up a bit of a fight before it is gone for good.

8. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Well, aside from the 20ish channels it adds depending on your other subscriptions.

9. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I use it and did not get an email as of 8:00 last night.

10. ggotch5445

ggotch5445 AllStar

Sep 27, 2009
    Yes, I just received my email, today, noting the end of the disc by mail part of BBAH.

While understanding the likely reasons for discontinuing the program in September, I am very disappointed.

It was very convenient to quickly add a movie title, to my queue, whenever I saw a movie trailer, read a review, or got a recommendation from a friend. The queue was a maintained list that helped to ensure that I would eventually see a film that I thought looked interesting at some point. I probably will miss out on seeing many films simply because I will now not have that ongoing "list", to keep me reminded, and supplied, with interesting films- both old and new, big box office and smaller independent movies.

And as yet, there is no streaming capability that measures up to Blu-ray, or even DVD, when it comes to picture/sound quality, AND depth of title availability.

The streaming capabilities of Dish's BBAH, is a great service- one we use a lot in fact, but is simply one choice of what has been a great total multimedia option.

11. pmjones

pmjones AllStar

Aug 3, 2012
    Talked to a CSR this AM and they ARE getting complaints - she advised to let your voice be heard. Still over a month away for this to be final ~

feedback@customermail.dishnetwork.com

My email read something like this ~

RE: DVS by mail

"I have heard that Dish is considering removing this feature from your Blockbuster at Home package - please reconsider. The DVDs by mail were the only option for customers to get the movies not owned by Starz, Epix, or the other movie channels that are included in streaming.

Please don't end the DVD by mail service - I have encouraged friends to sign up for Dish and this package was one of the main selling points."

12. Crotulus

Crotulus New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Looks like Dish is going to save me $10 by giving me another reason to drop the BlockBuster package. The blu-rays by mail were the only thing really keeping me in the package ever since HDNet Movies dropped out and got watered down in the regular packages. The Epix channels are ok, but I've got all the Marvel movies on Blu so they are kind of useless. We do watch Palladia, but I've seen a number of concerts repeated on the VH1 channels. I live in the sticks so the streaming part of the package does not do me any good. I'll just give Red Box a go for the occasional movie for he kids.

13. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]I know this may have caught you by surprise and the concerns you may have. We are moving away from the discs to focus on the 15 movie channels, 6 entertainment channels and expanding On-Demand and streaming options offered by Blockbuster @ Home. I will provide you our link explaining in more detail of what is going on: [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]http://bit.ly/13vYyF7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

14. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    I realize that changes are inevitable when companies need to save money, but Dish needs to consider this. Streaming may be a great feature for convenience & for folks who aren't particular about video & audio quality, it's fine. (Of course if you don't have a Dish DVR, it's useless & I've been with Dish over 17 years & have never had a need for a DVR & don't plan on starting now). The movies by mail part of the program was, to me, the best part of the program. As someone has already said, even if I had a DVR & had the streaming service, it can & never will measure up to the quality (video & audio) of Blu-Rays. And there is no technology on the horizon that will do so either. The loss of the movies by mail should really be re-considered by Dish & I truly hope it is.

Ken

15. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    As the previous poster said, this ALL pre-supposes that the user has a DVR, what accommodation will be made for BBAH subscribers that do not have a DVR - maybe a free DVR upgrade with no FEES - HA-HA-HA-HA-HAHA-!!

And what of those who have dial-up (yes they exist) or other slow internet connections?

16. pmjones

pmjones AllStar

Aug 3, 2012
    Parroting the company line on

Quoting the company line on this is not very helpful, Mike. The posters in this thread have brought up some great points. Dish would be wise to reconsider.

17. Crotulus

Crotulus New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Really Mike? You sent us to a webpage that tells us how great this pack will be when it is exactly the same as what we already get minus the discs by mail.

If Dish wants to drop the physical media portion of BB@H then they should either fold the channels into the TOP 250/200 packages or lower the price of the channels package while creating a streaming package like Netflix for those that want it. I was cool paying the $10 fee when this was the Voom pack but the channels have gotten steadily worse over the years. The discs by mail made it worth it (at least in the past when titles were actually available but that's another issue).

18. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    This is the part I don't understand. I've been with Dish for 17 years & wasn't aware that Blockbuster at Home involved/included anything other than (one movie at a time by mail & blockbuster streaming). Can you tell me what other channels you are referring to that are included in BAH, which I pay $10/month extra for? I guess I just haven't been paying attention, but I don't see anything different than what I've had for some time. BTW, I have America's Top 250, BAH & HD 250.

Ken

19. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    The Blockbuster package used be called the Platinum package. When they bought Blockbuster they changed the name of the package to Blockbuster and then tacked on the DVD by mail and streaming service to it for no additional cost.

20. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    To me, the discs by mail is what made this package attractive. I think this is a mistake by Dish - it's a diferentiator for their service.