1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI-I to DVI-D

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by JM Anthony, Feb 5, 2005.

1. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Just had an HTPC built by this neat little outfit called Monster PC. Nice guys. Good work. I've got a number of choices for video output, VGA and DVI-I being the most promissing with the latter being preferred, but on the set side (Sammy DLP), I've got a DVI-D (as well as VGA) connector. Can I go directly from DVI-I to DVI-D with a DVI-D cable??

2. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes. And if you need RGB you can get that from DVI-I by using a special breakout cable.

3. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    Thanks for the advice. Just got a cable from Rat Shack. Interesting that their home brand was more expensive than Monster Cable!! :lol:

4. drewnbrew

drewnbrew New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    how can you tell which dvi connection you have? can someone help me out with this answer?

tv: samsung hlp-4663w
    stb: samaung ts-360 hd

thank you in advance..
    drew

5. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    You can go directly between a device with a DVI-I output and a TV with a DVI-D output by simply using a DVI-D cable (which has DVI-D connectors at both ends). You do not need any sort of additional adapters or convertors. In fact, even if both devices have DVI-I, you can connect the two together with a DVI-D cable, since you're only interested in the digital portion anyhow.

6. drewnbrew

drewnbrew New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    thanks for the help!

7. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    Just got my HTPC fully up and running last night (had to replace a bum video card). The DVI-D cable works perfectly!