1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvi/ieee 1394?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by speedcouch, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedcouch

speedcouch AllStar

Jun 23, 2004
    Hi,

I'm new here and if this has been covered, I apologize for not finding it already. I've asked this question before on an HD Forum, but I'm not confident in the answer, so I'd like to ask the folks here since you seem very knowledgeable.

We have a Mitsubishi Platinum Series 55WS TV we got in Ded 2001. It does not have the integrated tuner. Our TV doesn't have the IEEE 1394 or whatever it is called.

If I want to get the HD Tivo eventually, do I have to buy that ridiculously priced "promise module" from Mitsubishi to get it to work properly? Or is that only for TVs with integrated tuners?

Thanks!
    Cheryl

2. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s The HD Tivo has an HDMI out, a component video RCA out, an S-Video out, and a composite video RCA out. You can view HD programming through either the HDMI or the component outputs. The is no IEEE 1394 output. Not being familiar with your television, it may or may not have a DVI input (the receiver comes with an HDMI to DVI cable). I'm sure it has component video RCA inputs and you can use the connection with no problems. No need to buy the "promise module", you will use the HD Tivo as your digital tuner.

3. Lije Baley

Lije Baley AllStar

Dec 7, 2003
    I have the Mits 55411 (manufactured last year). Like yours, it has no DVI input (the new models do have DVI). Firewire (1394) is pretty much dead.

The promise module was a $1000 rip-off from all accounts.

You'll be able to use the component video connections to see HD signals. They'll be satisfactory until the providers begin downrezzing the component output from 1080i to 480p (which might be never).

4. RMMRPh

RMMRPh Guest

I believe the latest version of the promise module includes a DVI input as well the tuner & firewire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.