1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI to VGA question

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Darkness42, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Feb 2, 2005 #1 of 11
    Darkness42

Darkness42 New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Hi, I had a question about connecting a 921 and a DLP projector. The projector has high definition VGA input (for computers), and is not immediately DVI compatible. Can I connect the 921 into the projector with some DVI-->VGA adaptor without loosing HD quality? A google search yields a lot of products, ranging from several hundred-dollar adaptor boxes to small $5 converters; which solution would work for what I need? Would the cheap converter sacrifice quality?

2. Feb 2, 2005 #2 of 11
    Darkness42

Darkness42 New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    anyone?

3. Feb 2, 2005 #3 of 11
    badkclark

badkclark Legend

Aug 12, 2004
    I have a somewhat similar situation, although mine is that I used a DVI/HDMI converter to connect to my Panny PT-50LC14 Monitor. Conversion may work for you, too.

4. Feb 2, 2005 #4 of 11
    Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Sorry, I should have replied earlier.

Yes, you can do this. The DVI connector on the 921 is a DVI-I connector. It contains both Digital and Analog outputs in that single connector. You can just use a simple DVI/VGA adapter to break out the analog signal. Then just use a regular VGA cable.

You might even find a DVI/VGA cable, but I didn't see them. They had the adapter at CompUSA, but they wanted $30 for it. I was able to find it at a local Mom & Pop comp store for $15. On the net, you can likely find it for even less.

I am using the DVI-I to VGA adapter to connect from the 921 to the VGA input on my Plasma. Looks great.

5. Feb 3, 2005 #5 of 11
    Darkness42

Darkness42 New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks for the response. So, the adaptor would revert the signal to analog? Is there any way to keep the digital signal out of the 921 for better quality on the hd projector, or is it not a noticable difference?

6. Feb 3, 2005 #6 of 11
    Cyclone

Jul 1, 2002
    Keep in mind that the Adapter does not covert Digtial to Analog. The DVI connector itself supplies both digital and analog.

DVI-D = Digital Output only (as seen on the model 811)
    DVI-A = Analog Output Only
    DVI-I = Both analog and Digital output. What the 921 has

Since your Projector does not have a digtial video input (DVI or HDMI), then there isn't a way to keep the signal digital for you. It has to be analog. But the good news is that even Analog HDTV still looks incredibly great.

7. Feb 3, 2005 #7 of 11
    sluggo

sluggo Legend

Sep 16, 2004
    Try www.infinitecables.com. DVI-I at one end VGA at the other end. I believe I remember the cable being around 25 dollars Canadian. Less in US dollars. I'll be ordering one for myself this weekend for my 921 to Phillips monitor.

8. Feb 3, 2005 #8 of 11
    UT_Texan

UT_Texan Mentor/Supporter

Dec 9, 2004
    I had the same issue with my tv. First I got a DVI-I cable and a DVI-I to VGA converter. The converter wouldn't accept a 1080i signal. So then I went to ram electronics and got the RGB to VGA cable. Plugged the RGB into the 921 and the VGA into the tv. Works great now!

It seems there is a lot of confusion between the different connectors (hd15,vga,15 d-sub,etc). I got a different story everytime I talked to someone different. I would be leary of any connectors if you want a 1080i signal. I only spent about 5 bucks so it wasn't a big loss.

9. Feb 4, 2005 #9 of 11
    Darkness42

Darkness42 New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks for all the input; the whole converter thing makes a lot more sense now.

10. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    I bought a $3 DVI to VGA adapter when I got my 921 to simulate the output from my old 6000. Works great! This is one reason why I can't go to DirecTV - the DirecTivoHD does not have an RGB output.

11. Cyclone

Jul 1, 2002
    This is why I fear the MPEG-4 receivers. None of them will have VGA or DVI-I outputs. They will all be HDMI & Component. You mark my words. The 2Wire SBC/Dish STB says DVI-I, but if you look at CES pics, its really a HDMI box.