1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR and Live Event Debacles

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by billten80EYE, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 6, 2007 #1 of 12
    billten80EYE

billten80EYE New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    While it may seem petty, on my old samsung HD box, i was able to choose programs using a "watch" schedule. When the showtime hit, the box automatically changed channels. Now with the HR20, you can only choose to record and lose the ability to program viewing. This allowed me to go through the lineup and make my decisions on viewing and since I pipe my once receiver throughout the house I could watch a X-Files marathons, fall asleep and wake up to my morning news channel.

One other item, that is beyond the scope of any box, is for some sort of override that live telecasts extend recordtimes or rain outs. The purpose of a DVR is not to babysit it, but when one telecast steps on another, the viewer should not have to check the weather in another country or state; or verify that a certain race has red flagged for rain or crashes while the show you want to watch is now destine for live/tape delay.

Given the choice of fixing the two problems, the later is most important... in my humble opinion...

2. Nov 6, 2007 #2 of 12
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Autotune is the name of the first feature you have described... it is not available on the DVRs, but do a search here and you will find a lot of discussion about it.

The later one....
    That is all about the affiliates, guidedata, and the DVRs.....

Basically a system would have to be built:

That the affiliates (or networks), can "live update" their broadcast data inline, with someone basically WATCHING the event to keep things up to date.

Then that update/change, gets uplinked to a clearing house... so that it can get pushed out to all carriers.

Then the carriers get that data, manipulate it to their specs for their systems, then push it out in a way that all their equipment (or compatible equipment) can see it.

Then those systems... need to a mechanism to either check or receive a push of that updated data...

and then all of that... needs to happen relatively quickly for live event updates.

3. Nov 6, 2007 #3 of 12
    Cpt Guavaberry

Cpt Guavaberry AllStar

Oct 15, 2007
    But, in this very rapidly moving age of technology, isn't the later quite possible? And, without jumping the cost to astronomical levels?:grin:

4. Nov 6, 2007 #4 of 12
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Certainly possible. Costs, though, would increase significantly but probably not astronomically. :D

Bill

5. Nov 6, 2007 #5 of 12
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    AS Much as I think DirecTV needs to really work on their guide data, there is no way to expect them to be able to catch sporting events and allow for overruns. THat is just part of the peril of recording an event that may not end on time. TiVo certainly does not do anything when a football game runs long and even if they did, it could cause issues with following shows set to record on other networks, etc.

6. Nov 6, 2007 #6 of 12
    billten80EYE

billten80EYE New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I realize that PSIP info is not some easy handoff when it comes to guide data.
    In my mind, the program provider of a live event could be authorized to send updated data. Each network responsible for its' own signals. Hence if Speed has one live event stepping on another, they can send the info out. If I recall, in the old days, each show had a specific number that use to be punched into the old vcrs. Technology has updated this so that end users see a program not a number. The DVR is recording based on data given to it, if it were tweaked so that the record start and end time could be jostled by some spiffy programmer dude, this could happen. Live program providers know they will run long far enough in advance to send out something that can at least tweak the DVR to extend the record time or delay the start time of the next event. I think it is a question of when they will do this, not if.

7. Nov 6, 2007 #7 of 12
    dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    I believe you are referring to the old VCR+ system. I don't think the shows were assigned a number, but there was a particular algorithm that was used to generate a number based on channel, date, start, and stop time.

8. Nov 6, 2007 #8 of 12
    soloredd

soloredd Legend

Oct 21, 2007
    VCR+ was pretty damn cool. You're right, though, the numbers were re-used often so it definitely was part of some code.

9. Nov 6, 2007 #9 of 12
    racermd

racermd Legend

Dec 17, 2006
    A phrase I use in my IT contracting life:

"Cheap, good, fast... Pick two."

The same applies to this.

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Correct... it was just a "smart" number
    http://can-d.net/plus.htm

11. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    When scheduling your program to record, the HR20 could pick up on the fact that it is a LIVE program and prompt you to pad the stop time. For the HR20 to keep checking the guide for any dynamic changes and then ask it to make a decision as to whether to abort any program that may have previously been scheduled and is now in conflict with the currently recording program, perform a partial recording of that conflicting program, or ignore the extension and stop the recording on time is just too much.

12. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Basically then... you will need another field in the Guide Data for the content providers to set, to denote that it is a LIVE event...

To the HR20... it is just a show that is set to start at a given time, end at a given time, on a given channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.