1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DVR Backup

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by R DAVIS, Jul 16, 2011.

1. R DAVIS

R DAVIS Cool Member

Sep 30, 2008

My VIP622 died. Dish is sending me a new one, but I will lose all my recordings.

In the future I would like to back up my recordings with an external hard drive. Can I just go to Best Buy and purchase something that will work for that, and plug and play, or is there more to it than that ?

Must I pay another fee in addition to what I am now paying to Dish ? If so, is it a one time or monthly fee, and how much ?

My receiver and TV system are not connected to the internet.

Also, I've heard of a "sling box" on this forum, but have no idea what it is.

Help Mr. Wizard !

Thanks,
    Randy

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I believe the answers are Yes , less than 2 TB and single spindle and USB 2.0 , and no fee (now). There used to be one, and it's possible that Dish may have to hit your account to enable it, but it is not supposed to be a fee anymore.

3. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    External USB as above - but make sure you get one powered by AC adapter NOT USB powered.

4. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    There isn't a charge to activate the USB port on the receiver. As scooper has stated, it has to be a single spindle, USB 2.0 (have seen 3.0 work on some), needs its own power source (not USB powered), and 50GB to 2 TB in size.

When you receive your replacement 622 receiver, you can PM our DIRT team to add the code to your account or call our CS department. If you have any problems setting up your replacement receiver, I can also assist you.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dish sells some EHD's as well.

6. ssmark

ssmark AllStar

May 23, 2011
    Any idea when they took out the one time fees to enable external HDD? I talked to them a few weeks ago and they still charged for it. $39.95, I think.

7. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    If you are adding to an existing DVR VIP612, 622, or 722 models there is no charge to add an EHD. If you are converting a VIP211 to a DVR with the use of EHD, there is a 1x account level charge of $40.00.

8. sideswipe

sideswipe Legend

Dec 4, 2008
    log into your online account & you will see a 500gb for $64 - same unit on newegg.com is $6 more im sure you may beat the price by looking more but Dish does seem to make this 1 simple

9. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    2-1-11 for DVR archival.
    That would be to convert a non-DVR 211/411/211k into a DVR.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I just bought a 2Tb for $79

11. dare2be

dare2be Cool Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Where? I got a WD Elements 2TB for $70 on Black Friday, but haven't found anything close to that since.

12. Cold Irons

Cold Irons AllStar

Dec 7, 2005
    Keep in mind that this is not really a "backup" in the normal meaning of the word. You move the shows from the DVR to the USB drive. Therefore the shows still only exist in one place; if the USB drive goes belly-up, you still lose the recordings. There is no way to do a real backup of your recordings.

13. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    That's not right.
    If you have a Unix box of any type or NFS extentions for your Windows computer you can backup the DishArc folder on the EHD, and create a backup, that you can restore to a new EHD if one fails. Do a search on DishArc, lots of help on how to do this, but its pretty simple.

14. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    It also doesn't lend itself to transferring them to a non-Dish device; you can only put them back onto a Dish EHD. DishARC hasn't been cracked, so don't go there either :p

15. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I wouldn't even think about talking or covering how to hack and decrypt the DishArc folder. Just saying you can copy it, to a NFS partition, and back it up. You can then restore the folder back to a replacement EHD if needed. I have done this several times as we upgrade our individual EHD's in the family. We now have 4 2TB EHD's, one for each member of the family, and most have been upgraded 2-3 times, over the last few years. Search on DishArc, lots of info following those threads. You do have to pretty much copy the entire folder as each show has its own encrypted file name, and you can't tell what is what.

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
  17. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    SayWhat?,

The installation is straight forward and easy for the EHD. Just plug the EHD into the USB port. The receiver will recognize the EHD and inform you it needs to format the drive. After it is formatted, it is ready to go. Below is the instructions for transferring recorded events to the EHD:

Receiver: 612, 622, 722, 722k
    Press the DVR button on the remote control twice.
    Select "My Media."
    Highlight and select "USB Storage."
    Select “Send to Device” to transfer recordings from the DVR to the EHD.
    Select the movie you want to transfer.
    Select “To Archive” to begin transfer.

18. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Ray, the next time you might also want to mention that if you have things on that drive they will be lost in the process.

Just to be safe.

Cheers

19. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Not using it for that since I have an older Dish box. I'm using it on a PC, but from what's been said above, it looks like this drive should work for others as an EHD.

20. dare2be

dare2be Cool Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Same price at Amazon but with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-ST320005EXA101-RK/dp/B002BH4ONE

However, the sheer number of negative reviews steered me away. Perhaps they are older reviews and they got the problem fixed.