1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR Cabling

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by texasbrew, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texasbrew

texasbrew Cool Member

Jul 21, 2006
    First let me apologize if this has been covered. I have a round dual LNB Directv sat w/ an 8 out multiswitch that operates 5 receivers. I do not have HD nor do I plan to have it for a few years (also none of te other special programming). I am considering adding a dvr but I only have one cable to supply to the dvr. The dvr will be in a loc where running another cable is not feasible. I am considering buying a stacker and stacking 2 outputs from the multiswitch and destacking at the DVR if necessary. Can somebody please review this and tell me if this will work?

Thanks.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    That is exactly what you need to do.

If you have an R15 DVR, it already has a destacker built in.
    If you have a TiVo powered unit, you will need the appropriate destacker.

3. texasbrew

texasbrew Cool Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Thanks for the input about the stacker. I received my stacker and am looking to hook it up. Does it simply hook up like a reverse splitter? That is 2 output from switch go to one cable headed for DVR and then the one cable is split right before it enters DVR? Also, what is the need for the power inserter and how is it to be cabled up? I looked at sonora's site and I could not determine how it was supposed to be hooked up.

Thanks.

4. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    http://9thtee.com/dssstuff.htm

Vin

5. texasbrew

texasbrew Cool Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Is the power inserter simply a power booster for long cable runs?

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The power inserter supplies power to the stacker so it can do its thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.