1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR changing channels while recording - where should I start looking?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SVTarHeel, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1 of 13
    SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Mentor DBSTalk Club

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    Our HR24/500 D* system has been virtually bulletproof compared to the TWC system it replaced about 30 months ago. We've had occasional signal losses during rain storms but changing to the analog channel fixed that 80% of the time.

Lately, though, we've had some oddities that concern me. I've made a couple of recordings that, right in the middle, switch to a Spanish-speaking channel of some sort for a period of time, then switch back to the channel that should be being recorded. The 2 specific ones I remember were on different channels - one a local broadcast affiliate's HD channel and one a cable SD channel.

Tonight, I was watching the beginning of one of the late night talk shows and, suddenly, got the pop up that the signal had been lost (with clear skies) . This latter problem has happened 2 or 3 times before during weather-free periods. My question - is this indicative of (potentially imminent) hardware (DVR) failure or does it mean that we have an alignment issue? Or something else entirely?

And, if this turns out to be a hardware (DVR) issue that requires replacement, is there any option for archiving my unwatched recordings besides burning them all to DVD individually? I remember reading a thread that seemed to potentially offer this by using an external SATA hard drive arrangment but I've not looked at it in-depth.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Sep 6, 2013 #2 of 13
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Hopefully its not a DVR issue. Can you go into your system settings and look at the sat signals and tell us what they are? All transponders on all the satelites. And if you have more than one location, check to see if you get the same readings as well at allocations.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

3. Sep 6, 2013 #3 of 13
    otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    The problem your describing is indicative of a failing install, the main culprits are LNB or multi switch, it could also be a damaged coax line or a grounding issue.
    I saw this problem weekly and only a few times was it the unit going out. Less than 1% of the accounts IIRC.
    Best bet call D* go with signal loss trouble shooting with the agent, you might have to insist on tech or call a couple times due to it being a intermittent problem.
    Might want to run a system test prior to calling see if you can get it to give you a signal code 42 or 43, write down the failure code(s) *note code 72 means nothing now a-days unless you use caller ID.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #4 of 13
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Real-time analog capture is the only method.

Whether that be a DVD recorder or a computer-based system is your choice.

5. Sep 6, 2013 #5 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you have 2 coax cables connected to the DVR ( non SWM technology ) and one of them has a weak or failing connection the system will jump to the other coax and since one coax carries a different voltage it will cause a channel change.

I would do as inkahauts suggests and check you signal readings for each satellite and each Tuner of the DVR. This will be a good indication as to what might be wrong.

6. Sep 6, 2013 #6 of 13
    SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    OK, here's what I know so far...

On the Living Room unit that's been acting up: signal strengths are all 95 or above except the second number on 17-24 & 25-32. On 25-32, it's always zero. On 17-24, it was initially 0, then jumped to 33 before I exited. I just reran the scan and it was 74 while all the rest were still 95 or above.

On the Den unit, all 95 or above except the second number on 17-24 (42) & 25-32 (0). Signal meters on both units show 99 for both tuners.

The system test only gave an error about not finding a dial tone.

Additionally, tonight we were watching a college football game on ESPN2HD in the Lving Room. Maybe 3 or 4 times, the picture froze then came back 10-30 seconds later as if nothing happened. One time, there was a popup error box listing error 771.

I haven't checked the signal strengths on the den unit yet. If memory serves, none of the offending recordings came from that unit either. But, if has shown one error that might prove helpful in deciphering the cause of my troubles. That unit is where the DVD recorder is. Lately, about half of the recordings I have made have had the DVR switch to another station during playback. The DVD recorder jus records whatever's on the screen, so I have to redo that DVD.

Thanks for the help so far and I'd appreciate any further ideas you have to remedy this annoying glitch.

7. Sep 6, 2013 #7 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From what you wrote you just checked the 101 satellite. The HD pictures come from the 99 and 103 satellites..
    99c, 99s, 103ca, 103cb, 103s
    The s satellites are local spot beams and the numbers on them are funky and all over the place.
    Normally we skip those unless you are having a problem with a local channel.

Call DirecTV for a service call so that they can fix your bad connection. The most it will cost is $49.99.
    The price is for labor and any hardware / parts needed.

8. Sep 6, 2013 #8 of 13
    SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    99c = all 95/96
    103ca & cb = all 92-96
    SWM = all 96-100 except 5 is zero

9. Sep 6, 2013 #9 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try this and see what it says:
    Menu, Settings, System Info & Test, More System Info and do channel down 3 times.
    It should say:
    Features
    Tuner
    Tuner 1: Sat, Record
    Tuner 2: Sat, Record

10. SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    It does say that,for both tuners

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think you have a bad / loose / corroded connector in the coax line or a bad SWM Switch or LNB.

12. SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    For a connector, most logically on the exterior of the house? Or could be anywhere?

13. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Most likely outside,