1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR / Config Question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dsiebenh, Jan 7, 2011.

1. dsiebenh

dsiebenh New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Hello Folks, considering a switch from D* to E*.

My config is as follows:

HDMI 1024
    Logitech Revue Google TV
    DVR

HDMI 720
    DVR

#3 SD TV
    DVR
    (occasional use only)

Virtually all viewing is via DVR. All TVs should be able to record, and all should be able to watch via DVR simultaneously. Sharing a DVR is ok, as long as functionality and performance do not suffer.

There are 2 coax home runs to each set from the attic, for D*. The TVs are not close to each other and I'd prefer no new cable runs.

I read that maybe the 722 DVR is preferable to the 612, due to reliability?

I am considering a 722 in room #1, with an SD feed to room #3. Is the possible over my existing second coax lines? Can they both watch the DVR? And then a 612 in room 2. Does this result in 3 different interfaces for 3 TVs?

I guess I'm confused over the optimal config and the resulting cost from E*. Your assistance is appreciated.

Am I correct in saying drop #1 is included and then for drops 2 and 3 I pay: $7 for no DVR (or feed from a DVR),

$10 for a 612, or $17 for a 722?

So with the first receiver for free, I could go
    722 x 3 = $34
    612 x 3 = $20
    722 + 612 + 212 = $17

??? Thanks.

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Honestly I'd go 722 for rooms 1 and 3, and a 211k for the 2nd room, and enable the DVR on the 211k for the $40 charge.

Room 1: HD via 722 HDMI/component, shares DVR with Room 3.
    Room 2: HD via 211k HDMI/component, is its own DVR, unshared.
    Room 3: SD via coax backfeed from Room 1, shares DVR with Room 1.

Except for the one time $40 fee, you absorb only the $7 monthly fee for the 211k.

Room 3 is "TV2," which is an independent output and can watch live TV or the DVR while Room 1's "TV1" output is in use.

3. dsiebenh

dsiebenh New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks Rasputin,

I'm glad the SD feed to room #3 can work over coax.

On the 211... does that use the same user interface as the 722? We have an issue currently where 2 D* DVRs and one TiVo all use different interfaces. Bothers the family.

And the 211 seems to tune SD channels but display them in 720, is that correct? May be worth it to save the monthly charge, since it's a bedroom...

Other opinions also welcome.

Dave

4. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    The 211 is an HD receiver so it tunes HD and SD channels like a D* HD receiver an can output HD and SD. It has the same interface as the 722. By saving the monthly charge, are you talking about sticking with the $7 211 or dropping it altogether and sharing 2 & 3 from the TV2 output on the 722? Either option will work fine, but TV2 is SD only (at the moment).

FWIW, I recently switched from D* to E* and have the same setup Rasputin recommended except instead of a 722 I have a 722k plus an OTA module. That give me simultaneous recording on 4 tuners in room 1.

Keep in mind if you do a lot of recording in room 2, the 211k may not be enough since it only has one sat tuner and one OTA tuner.

5. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Yup, the interface is identical to the 722, and it's an HD receiver. The only thing you need to do is pick up a USB hard drive and set up the DVR service on it and you're set. It's a single tuner receiver, but I haven't had an issue with that in my bedroom either...it's not like the main rooms where we're watching TV pretty frequently...