1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR feature on 211/211k receivers

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by frankv, Dec 30, 2008.

1. frankv

frankv Cool Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Is it possible to watch a previous recording while a new recording is in progress? How about the currently recording program (not live)?

2. frankv

frankv Cool Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Never mind, should have searched first, answer is yes to both. Got frustrated with Dish CSRs, here's their answer:

You have been connected to (01) Raquel R.
    (01) Raquel R: Welcome to Dish Network, the leader in HD and DVR services. How may I assist you in your buying experience?
    Frank: hi, I have a question re: the DVR feature on the 211 receivers
    (01) Raquel R: Thank you for letting me know.
    Frank: Is it possible to watch a previous recording while a new recording is in progress?
    (01) Raquel R: Just to verify, are you an existing customer?
    Frank: no
    (01) Raquel R: May I know what are your concerns?
    Frank: Is it possible to watch a previous recording while a new recording is in progress?
    (01) Raquel R: Please give me a moment to research that information for you. This may take a few minutes.
    (01) Raquel R: Thank you for waiting.
    (01) Raquel R: The 211 is not a DVR, it's just an HD receiver.
    (01) Raquel R: It can hook up 1 HD TV.

3. Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot Godfather

Jul 16, 2006
    The 211 (and 211K) is in fact a DVR..... well, to be clear, it can be easily converted to a DVR. All you do is plug in an appropriately sized external hard drive between 50 (minimum) and 750 gigs (maximum) in size, call up Dish Network and pay a one time fee. Nothing else, no other fees.

And to answer your specific question, yes you can watch one program and record another provided one is OTA and the other is on satellite. The issue or limitation here is the 211 has only 1 satellite tuner and only 1 OTA tuner.