1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DVR for OTA

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by ESA1178, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    Can anyone recommend a good DVR for capturing OTA channels?

Thanks!

Mark

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Believe me I wish I could. TiVo is about it.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
  4. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    If you mean OTA in addition to DirecTV functionality then an AM21 module will plug into any DirecTV DVR and provide tuning of local channels which can also be recorded.
    Available as an accessory for about $50 from DirecTV.

5. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks dettxw.

Nope, I finally cut the cord (literally) with Directv.
    Now only have a DB8 antenna and great new TV that brings in 60 local OTA Digital channels. I do have an Hauppage tuner, but its a pain having to go to the PC or log on the network each time I want to record or watch a recorded show from the tuner. Looking for a box. If I get a tivo box, do I have to subscribe in order to eatch my OTA channels and use the DVR functionality?

Thanks!

Mark

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Tivo charges the same regardless. If you want to save money, suggest you look on ebay for a good deal on a TivoHD (previous model from current) with a lifetime subscription included.

Another option, since you already have a Hauppauge tuner, would be to run Windows Media Center on your computer with the hauppauge, and use an Xbox360 as your media extender. It will operate the same as a dvr, using the Xbox remote.

7. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks Davenlr!

I have an Hauppauge 950Q stick and XBOX360 with Windows 7 X64.
    I will check it out later today!

Thanks again!

Mark

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
  9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm using a Windows 7 PC with Media Center and a generic/factory installed tuner card. Works fine so far, but I only use the one PC to record/watch. I don't extend it out to any other devices.

The tuner is in a PCI slot, so if it dies, it's easy to replace.

Only problem I have is that Media Center refuses to update the Guide automatically, so I have to keep messing with it about every two weeks.

10. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    I was thinking of buying a refurbished PC for less than $200. This PC would sit by the entertainment center and be a dedicated for Windows Media/950Q.
    The HDD would be also dedicated. The reasoning is that I have noticed an occasional pause with live TV/Windows Media Player on the TV when I am working on the Host PC with the 950Q. Logic tells me that if a PC is dedicated to the Q950Q and Windows media then there would be no 'interruption' in play on the TV.
    What do you think?

Mark