1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR Freezes When eSATA Drive Connected

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dvrwannabee, Oct 21, 2008.

1. dvrwannabee

dvrwannabee Cool Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I connected the Free Agent Pro 750 to my HR20-700 about a month ago. It was working fine until a couple days ago when it started freezing up. I did the RBR several times as well as a power off reboot but it always ends with the picture freezing within a few minutes of completing the restart. When I turn off the power and disconnect the eSATA drive so that it runs off the internal drive everything works fine. Can anyone tell me what would cause this?

Tom

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Sounds like the Seagate has failed or is in the process of failing.

3. Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    If you look at my signature, you will see I've, "Been there; done that!" several times to know you are most likely 100% correct.

Time to look at your warranty card.

4. tider

tider AllStar

Mar 2, 2008
    I've had my Calvary unit for around 9 months and it is freezing up as well. Do you know what the warranty period fo the Calvary hard drives are? I contacted Buy.com where I purchased it and they told me to contact the manufacturer.

Thanks,
    Chris

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Cavalry was bought out by another company and does not provide phone tech service. You have to do everything by email. You can still go to Cavalry.com, but you will see what I mean when you get there.

Rich

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never had an FAP fail. I'd suspect the HR. Try disconnecting the FAP and then reformatting the HR and after that force a download of the latest software. Then reattach the FAP and see if your problem clears up.

How full is the FAP?

Rich

7. mattefron

mattefron New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm having the same problem. It just started last week as well. I first thought it was the HR, then I thought it was the external. I have seen several threads regarding this & they all said that it started last week. Coincidence?? I don't think so. I am beginning to suspect that it is a software problem. Any ideas?

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Look at your menu/setup/setup/info screen and see if the date the current software was downloaded coincides with the date your problem started.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Software problems would affect alot more users.