1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DVR messing up recording / locking up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pattcap, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pattcap

pattcap AllStar

Sep 24, 2006
    Monday night it was heroes
    Tuesday night it was The Unit
    Wednesday night it was Lost

That is three shows, one per day, for three days, that my HR20 is screwing up.

Tonight I was watching stuff off MyVOD while it was supposed to be recording Lost.

Then when I go to watch the show it is not in the MyVOD list,
    If the recording is still in progress, and I somehow manage to switch to that channel,
    I can see it is recording, lots of orange line.
    However, It will not pause, rewind, or anything. In fact, the whole machine becomes extremely unresponsive. I did manage to watch the last 25 minutes of Heroes Monday night like that, but I was afraid to touch the remote for fear of messing something up.

Is anyone else having a problem like this.

D* you fixed the fast forward, but now it screws up recording on a regular basis.
    This is totally unacceptable

You need to get this one fixed Pronto!!!!!

2. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    Hey, at least you got FF! They are only human, and can only fix so many bugs at once! Would you rather have working FF or working recordings??

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    What does your history state for the the LOST recording.

What happens if you set the output resolution to say 480i or 480p (instead of HD). What kind of connection are you using to your TV

4. bluesjam

bluesjam Legend

Oct 13, 2006
    Are you serious??? So now having a dvr with issues is the norm? We should be thankful that D* is resolving one issue at a time? How about they give us a working dvr so we can all quit whining about it!

5. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    He was joking.

6. bluesjam

bluesjam Legend

Oct 13, 2006
    I wasn't! :D The # of whiners is growing and I can't keep track of all of them anymore! ;)

Sorry Matt.

7. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    actually, i was just channeling our friend hdtvfan00000001

8. dark0ps

dark0ps Cool Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Short answer, yes. My Heroes symptoms were identical and ultimately I didn't get to watch the show; however, The Unit was a repeat last night so the recorder did what it was supposed to and didn't record it.

9. pattcap

pattcap AllStar

Sep 24, 2006
    It is set to 720p with 480i disabled and 1080i disabled

The HR20 is connected via HDMI to a Samsung 40" LCD,
    The Optical Output goes to the Stereo
    The RCA outputs go into a Modulator (Puts the output on the in house cable channel 100 so we can watch in the kitchen)

This time History said "Partial" but LOST never showed up in the MyVOD
    Last night, the Unit, showed as "Canceled" but I know it was recording it because the light was on, and I actually managed to switch to the channel and see about 30 seconds before the "the clock" switched to the next hour.
    While it was doing that we were watching Friday Night lights, and I went into that from something else on MyVOD.

Monday is a busy night, but it messed up heroes. Again, I was watching stuff from MyVOD while it was recording. It was very busy on Monday night with lots of 30 min shows, all on HD Locals (Atlanta) then a couple of 60 min shows later at night.

Hope that info helps

10. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    Aha. Hey, I live on DBStalk!

11. pattcap

pattcap AllStar

Sep 24, 2006
    Hurray, The Unit was a repeat.....

That actually makes me feel better, It means only two mishaps this week, not three.

:)

12. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    welcome back ;-)

13. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    Just call me Kotter.

14. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I really hope they get to the bottom of why the HR20 will randomly decide not to record a show. It's only happened to me a handful of times in previous builds, but it sure did irk me when it happened.

15. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    ....and why it's so different among different users. It's bewildering the way this bug manifests (or doesn't).

I've only had 1 missed recording in 4 weeks and that one was associated with resolving a conflict. Too strange.

16. GoCougs

GoCougs Cool Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Ditto. here. I have had two messed. Both were HD Recordings though...Don't know if that is the only programs it messes up on. (In fact both were ABC..Local Channel 2 in Atlanta)

17. cmziggy

cmziggy Cool Member

Aug 21, 2006
    I had the same problem with my recording of Jericho(SD, since MPEG4 version of CBS is not yet available in Portland) last night. The system had the light on for recording but nothing showed up in MyVOD's. When I changed to the channel I could see that is was recording since 8pm but I could not rewind or pause it. Once the show was over nothing every showed in my list. Lost right after on ABC recorded just fine.
    :mad:

18. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    That's basically a normal night with my DVR. At least a few lockups per night. Last night I was recording the Chuck Berry Concert on HD CH 74 and watching some of it live also. I went to RR a few seconds to see something and it locked up. After a red button reset I just deleted the partial recording. What's the purpose of a recording with a big gap in it. Typical aggravating bull****.

19. DFWKDFE2000

DFWKDFE2000 Mentor

Oct 19, 2006
    Well I just got back in town from business and was looking forward to watching lost today and;

My VOD says it recorded it, and it is there, but when I select to watch it, all I get is a nice Gray screen, I cannot forward it or anything.

I checked to see if I recieved the updated software, and I did. So what happened??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.