1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR picks the wrong channel - Why?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kbxm, Feb 8, 2009.

1. kbxm

kbxm AllStar

Mar 15, 2007
    I have an HR21-200 with the latest updates and ever since the last update, it's been getting most of the "season passes" wrong. For example:

I set the unit to record Minnesota Wild Hockey. That for me is local channel 45, FSNOHD on 668. Occasionally it's on VS or our local channel 5.

The DVR used to get it right every time, but now it's started picking the wrong channels to record and if I don't check things and do it manually it's missing recordings.

Today for example, the game was on local channel 5, which also has a 5-1 OTA channel. The DVR chose the 5-1 OTA to record on and since I didn't have the antenna on, it lost the recording.

Other times, the game's on FSNO and it will choose the opposing team's channel FSD for Detroit or Altitude for the Avs etc.

At this point I no longer trust the thing and have gone back to entering the games by hand, but I'm wondering a) why'd it suddenly start doing this and b) how can I make it stop.

Suggestions would be welcomed!!

Thanks!

KB

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The season passes should only record on the channel they were created on. I would check your prioritizer and look to see what your season passes are setup on.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Are you using a boolean keyword search or a real "Season pass"?

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you don't have the AM21, you should not even see the ota locals in your guide. If you do have the AM21, the HR has no way of knowing whether or not you have an antenna connected. You should disable ota if you are going to have the antenna disconnected.

5. kbxm

kbxm AllStar

Mar 15, 2007
    That's the other part, it usually tried to record both but fails to record either. I never choose the OTA to record from either. The recordings are set up through the search menu to record from keywords.

It's not just OTA either. As I said it messes up the "directv only" channels as well. In my example above, I live in Minne, why would I want to record from a channel I don't get in Denver?

It didn't happen before, so apparently there was a change in the logic somewhere to where it's no longer finding the correct DMAs or something....

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I would start by re-running guided setup and make sure to use the correct zipcode for your DMA. Then check the channels to see if any are out of your area.

I believe a keyword search for shows, sets them up to record on any channel that matches.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Actually, I'm pretty sure we researched this a while back when someone else had a similar issue. If a keyword AUTORECORD has a choice between an OTA channel and a SAT channel, it will choose the OTA channel.

I think this is a safe assumption for the HR2x to make, since an OTA channel (at least in theory) will have the best picture quality. /steve