1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DVR playback doesn't fill the screen (16x9, 1080)

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by scscsc, Jun 12, 2013.

1. scscsc

scscsc New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    I've searched the Hopper/Joey forum, but I couldn't find anything that described the problem I see. There was Display Standard Def in 4:3 and not Stretched and Picture is cut off, but neither matched what I see.

Ok, so the same TV and same input (HDMI) as my old ViP722 was connected to, but now with a Hopper+Sling (the actual Hopper, not a Joey). Configured to 1080p/1080i, 16x9, and properly adjusted in the Settings->Format TV menu (during the adjustment, one up overflows the screen, one down leaves black space on the edges). For some reason, DVR'd shows do not fill the screen (see the attached photo). I would have blamed my TV, but the ViP722 worked just fine - and the half fill is even visible in the tiny window while the menu is open (see second photo) - and the menu fills the full screen... Also, watching anything live fills the screen. But, if I record a live show that is filling the screen, and then play it back, it only fills about half the screen.

I'm familiar with the * zoom button, as it has been on Dish remotes forever.
    • Normal: shown in the screen shot
    • Stretch: Fat people, with black bars on the top and bottom
    • Partial Zoom: Slightly wider than my screen (some cropping), but doesn't fill top to bottom - and looks pretty grainy
    • Zoom: Too large in both height and width (cropped in both directions) - and looks pretty grainy
    • Gray bar: same as Normal, but with gray bars instead of black
    The channels I'm looking at have the HD logo in the guide (I am not on SD channels).

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      133.8 KB
      Views:
  2. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    That is very bizarre. Do live programs fill the screen?

3. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Looks to me like it is filling the screen, because the bugs overlay the letterboxing on the top and bottom. History has several odd-shaped programs that don't quite fit 16x9.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    try next to HDTV icon - there you can increase/decrease/shift size of DVR picture to fit it into your TV screen

5. scscsc

scscsc New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Yes, the same show live fills the screen. If I watch the recording while it is still in progress, it fills the screen. If I watch it after it is done recording, it no longer fills.

6. scscsc

scscsc New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    I noticed that too... very strange. I'll have to find that show live to see if the bugs are cropped or if that show is also shruken when live.

7. scscsc

scscsc New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Are you referring to the FormatTV menu where it shows the guide and I hit +/-? I already did that (per my original message). As you can see, the Hopper menus properly fill the screen.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    well, then you could investigate the stream ... perhaps it's not good for internal scaler

9. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I would say you are recording the "SD" channel instead of the HD channel for some reason.
    I know "seek & record" timers will do that.
    Check the info banner to verify which was actually recorded.

10. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I agree with n0qcu, be sure your timers are set for the HD version of the channel not the SD version.