1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR Purchase

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by georgewells, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgewells

georgewells AllStar

Feb 23, 2006
    Hayden,Idaho
    I would like to get some opinions on the purchase of a D* DVR.
    On the net -- New - unused HR10-250 's are going for $350 to $425.
    Since the HR10-250 has a MPEG 2 Receiver and the talked about new DVR (in maybe 6 months ) from D*Will have a MPEG 4 receiver (that I guess I will need if I ever get HD Locals in Spokane,WA) should I shy away from the HR10-250 and wait for an updated unit ?
    Thanks

2. cheer

cheer AllStar

Nov 9, 2005
    Supposedly D* is going to swap out the HR10 for the HR20 when it comes out. Take that with a grain of salt.

I can tell you that I love having my HR10. I use it more for OTA stuff than I do for HD programming from D*, but it's great being able to DVR this stuff either way.

3. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Ditto. 75% of what I record is OTA HD local.

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    About the same here...
    Take Universal-HD and BSG out of the picture, that goes up to about 95%

5. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I suppose if you waited for the next new thing to come out, you'd never buy anything, but with that said...

It might at least make sense to wait for the new DVR since it will accept MPEG-4 and the current 1 won't...and the new DVR is only a few months away. What I really want to see is the DVR platform they teased at the earnings call a few weeks ago. If I understood the presentation properly, they were going to launch a central DVR unit so that you could record on the DVR and watch the shows anywhere in the house (on any TV, that is). That's very appealing to me because I often take a VCR tape out and watch on another TV.

As is typical with D*, they were useless on information when I asked them (a) when the new dish was coming out, (b) what size/weight it would be, (c) when the AT-9 DVR was coming out and (d) when the central DVR would be out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.