1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR requires two lines?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by davewolfs, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davewolfs

davewolfs Mentor

Aug 18, 2007
    Hey folks,

Just wondering. Does DVR service really require two connections from the sat to record and watch something else at the same time? I am coming from E* and my old receiver was capable of doing this with a single line. It simply had a splitter at the back, is this not possible with DTV?

Dave

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The HR20 and HR21 will function just fine with only one satellite line. You'll just be limited to using one tuner. You cannot split the satellite signal. DirecTV is currently rolling out an SWM (single wire multiswitch) that will allow you to use one line and actually use both tuners, but it's in limited release.

3. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm scheduled to get two antennas installed on Wednesday, one 3lnb and one 2lnb, for 5 satellites. So does that mean signals from 3 of the satellites go to one HR20 tuner and signals from the other 2 satellites go to the other tuner? But what if two programs that I want to record simultaneously happen to both originate from two satellites whose signals are going only to one of the tuners? It seems like I'd want all 5 satellite signals going to both tuners. Can a SWM do that?

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You should verify with DirecTV exactly what equipment is being installed. There are not two dishes (antennas). You should be getting one 5-LNB dish (either AT9 or AU9 "Slimline"). With this dish you'll have four outputs, enough to feed both tuners on two DVRs. If you need more than that, DirecTV will provide a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch with 8 outputs. Then all tuners see all of the channels from all satellites.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    No it is not, unless they can install the SWM which is just becoming available nationally, but requires the use of SWM capable boxes only, like the newer H2X/HR2X series. If you want full functionality from a Directv DVR, you need two separate sat feeds.

If you feel this is a step backwards, you can always stay with Dish. For some people it is not possible to have multiple runs of cable to their tvs., but as with anything if there is a will there is a way.

6. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    I looked at the order on the Directv website, and it says "1.2m 3LNB" and "1.2m 2LNB".

7. Greyshadow2007

Greyshadow2007 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I just noticed where you are located... one dish for 99/101/103, and the second for 110/119

8. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    I didn't know that folks in HI had to have 2 dishes? I guess you learn something new everyday......

9. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    If I have the satellites correctly identified, dishpointer.com gives elevations from here of 20.8, 22.7, 24.7 degrees for 99, 101, 103, and 31.4, 40 degrees for 110, 119. Maybe the difference of almost 20 degrees from 99 to 119 accounts for why there have to be two dishes.

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You're in Hawaii! You need two larger (~3-ft) dishes because the DirecTV satellite signals are weak in Hawaii.

11. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    To answer your original question, there are ways to combine the signals before they get to your receiver. I would guess that your local Hawaii installers know this.

12. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    For anyone who has placed an order, you are on step 5 of the:

Ordering Tips

Those last steps are critical.

It will also refer you to the Installation Guide pdf with more details on your installation.

You are doing the right thing to make sure before the installation. The other important tip is that you really, really want to be there yourself when they do the install.

- Craig

13. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    So I wonder how they combine the signals from the two dishes. That would be the solution for people that have trouble getting line of sight for all five satellites from one location. And wouldn't these larger dishes be great for minimizing rain fade?

14. Tyralak

Tyralak Icon

Jan 24, 2004
    What he's talking about is a DPP seperator. It's not really a splitter. And yes, Dish has had single line capabilities for dual tuner receivers for years.

15. Tyralak

Tyralak Icon

Jan 24, 2004
    They just connect all the inputs to a multiswitch. The switch routes the proper signal accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.