1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR "server"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jbci, May 29, 2009.

1. jbci

jbci Cool Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Are we ever going to see a shared DVR or a device to centrally store recorded DVR video that all of my receivers can access? It seems such a simple thing to do.

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    DirecTV has announced that in 2010 there will be some sort of whole home server device. No details.

3. no1hedberg

no1hedberg Cool Member

Jan 5, 2008
    If they'd just add multi-room viewing, to the HR's that would be a big step.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That was announced a while back by Chase.. Sometime this year.. :D

5. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    We keep seeing mentions of a whole home server, but I've not seen any direct documentation. I don't know that I'd want a "server" if I had a unified playlist and scheduling through MRV.

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    There is none. It's been talked about a lot in various conference and financial calls by DirecTV in the past 6-9 months as coming in 2010.

And what they have said is what is happening with MRV the 2nd half of this year is the "primer" so to speak of what the whole home home server would be. I think of the server as something that will sit in a closet somewhere with 4 or more tuners and the ability to record at least 4 things at once. It's not directly connected to your TV (although it could be). Then it's connected to "clients" (think H21 type receivers) and those clients access the server via the MRV technology. So instead of having 2 or more HD DVRs in the house and a "unified playlist" you have the 1 server that can do it all and has an automatic unified playlist for all clients in a sense. My only problem is what happens if said server crashes. :(

8. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Single point of failure.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All the time I was reading your post that question in red was exactly what I was thinking. If history has taught us anything since the advent of the computer, it's that they crash from time to time.

I thought that when a "server" system was initiated, it would be a network of servers in different regions of the country. Kind of an "Intranet," such as companies have for all internal proprietary programs and files.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh, the horror. Can you imagine having a whole season of shows recorded (or close) and the summer to watch them and the "server" in your closet commits "servicide" on May 28th? Too many eggs in one basket.

Rich

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    But that could just as easily happen with a single DVR. Not many people with 2 or more DVR's have whole seasons (or even episodes) recorded on more than one unit. And many people still have only one DVR, so there's no getting around a single point of failure for them.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All I could think of when I wrote that post was my setup, which does have whole seasons of episodes just waiting for us to watch, spread over five HRs. If one or two of the eSATAs or HRs fail, I won't lose anything. Lost two eSATAs this last season and didn't lose any episodes of any program.

When I was using VCRs, I had the shows I really didn't want to miss backed up and backed up.

How do you buy one HR and not get the "fever" and buy a couple more? How many folks on the forum only have one HR? :lol:

Rich

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, I do have 3 DVR's (a couple of which have whole seasons of shows we haven't watched yet), but none of them have duplicate recordings.
    I have a couple of SL's on 2 DVR's, but as soon as the main DVR records it successfully, it's deleted off the other.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I delete every program we watch from every HR it is recorded on too. I don't try to archive any series. I'd rather buy the DVD season box set.

My wife travels a lot and we don't get that much time to watch the shows we both like. Besides, it's easier for me to understand what's going on if I watch a season series over the course of a week or two than three times a month.

Some shows we watch as soon as they are recorded. Law & Order, shows like that without an extended story line. But 24, Lost, Prison Break, Heros, Sarah Conner, etc.? I gotta watch them all at once. Or I'm totally lost.

Rich

15. Shardin

Shardin Legend

Nov 26, 2006
    Hey, why did you pick my birthday for the servicide comment...it scares me:lol:

16. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Not only was it announced but if Directv and Dishnetwork want to keep up with U-verse and I think Fios they should be considering it.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Didn't know, I would have sent you an e-card. Just started using them. Great way to send cards. Been using Hallmarks web site for them. Easy and a lot more convenient than snail mail birthday cards.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Here's an interesting link that might answer your question.

Rich

19. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    The 'single box' solution would need some sort of auto-backup (making it a 'two box' solution) tucked away in the same closet.

Rich - how would that Comcast/cable technology apply to D*?

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If I read it correctly, it would allow any provider to use their servers rather than making us keep the programs on our HRs and eSATAs. Would simplify things. No need for eSATAs, no need for large internals, we could cut down on the number of HRs we have.

The downside is that there would, undoubtedly, be a charge for using the provider's servers.

Rich