1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DVR software feature requests

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by TD22057, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1 of 35
    TD22057

TD22057 Cool Member

May 24, 2007
    I thought it would be a good idea to start capturing software feature requests somewhere. Since it seems like updates are still rolling out, perhaps we can get some new items added. Feel free to add your own - if we get enough requests, perhaps we can start a poll to prioritize them.

1) Allow DVR contents to be displayed in a list view like the 622. The show title is the smallest part of the box in the current tile view which makes it difficult to read, the largest piece of the tile is the channel icon which is the least useful piece of information, and long titles don't fit in the tile width. Having a list view that shows the title and episode length (for shows) or title/folder name and number of items (for folders) would be very useful. That format does show fewer items on the screen but they are easier to read and it's faster to find the item you want. Basically an optional view that's similar to the 622/722 would be great.

2) Show prime time recordings with explicit timers in the upcoming recordings schedule. For example, we record "Person of Interest" as a separate timer so we don't loose them after 8 days. It's great that it's recorded as part of PTAT and then immediately copied out to the regular DVR. But the upcoming recording schedule doesn't show that - it just shows that PTAT will be recorded on Thursday. Since we only record new episodes of most of our shows, that makes it very difficult to see what prime time shows that are coming up are new that we'll want to watch in the next week.

2. Apr 7, 2012 #2 of 35
    mbolack

mbolack New Member

Apr 6, 2012
    When recording a series, I want a setting to tell it to record one of each episode. This would be very useful when you are recording a series that is also broadcasting reruns that you haven't recorded yet. Otherwise you have no choice but to tell it to record new and reruns, and you get a lot of dupes.

3. Apr 7, 2012 #3 of 35
    Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    When you place your cursor on the thumbnail, the title will scroll displaying the full title as it scrolls across the thumbnail. It scrolls from left to right. Thanks.

4. Apr 7, 2012 #4 of 35
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The title and description also appears at the top of the screen.

5. Apr 8, 2012 #5 of 35
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    How are you creating timers? If you create the timer by selecting an episode in the guide and select new and reruns it will skip duplicates. If your initial selection is a rerun it defaults to new and reruns. If your initial selection is a new episode the default is new. I believe that some complaining about duplicates are creating their timers with seek and record.

6. Apr 8, 2012 #6 of 35
    mbolack

mbolack New Member

Apr 6, 2012
    No, I'm not using seek and record. But I am still getting duplicates with new and reruns. It isn't a horrible problem to go through once a week and delete out duplicates.

But it seems to me that this sophisticated software ought to be programmable to have the option to check what you already have recorded and not record a dupe of those episodes. Perhaps this is because some of the shows in the series(s) I am recording are several years old. But they all show episode numbers in the guide. That's why I worded my request the way I did. Record only one of each episode.

7. Apr 8, 2012 #7 of 35
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe it works that way on older receivers. I have had recordings skipped because the program "already exists" on the DVR. I have not tried that on the Hopper but I agree that the feature requested should be able to be worked in.

8. Apr 8, 2012 #8 of 35
    rgranberry

rgranberry Cool Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Thanks for clearing up what I thought was random choice of "new and reruns" or "only new" when creating timers.

9. Apr 8, 2012 #9 of 35
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Sounds like the series you are getting dupes on have bad guide info and don't trigger the skip. None of the series that I have new and rerun set on are recording dupes. I do remember the problem on my 622 when the guide info changed format in a series or two on some channels. I don't think it's a Hopper problem unless you have a defective unit. You can fix some of it with weekly or M-F timers, but some cable channels scatter episodes too much for that to always work.

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I don't know if this would have an impact, but (on the ViP series) if you have an episode on an external hard drive, the tuner won't know this and would record an episode of a show if it was set to 'all episodes'.

11. fredpb

fredpb Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    I would like it if the Slingbox could connect to devices on my home LAN directly, not go over the internet. I like to side out on my back porch at night and smoke and watch my Dish. But the throughput is sometimes slow, since it goes all over the country just to get 40 feet.

12. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    If it knows it's on your network, it knows the path automatically and stays inside your network.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Then why big brother want you connect to their servers, log all commands and send them to your device what is reside in your network in 100 feet?
    And not allow you to do that if Internet connection is down !

14. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I'm sorry, I'm all out of tinfoil.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Correct ... and nice to be able to use my home wi-fi from my notebook or cellphone to watch something via sling at a faster rate than my Internet connection.

16. gboybama

gboybama Cool Member

Mar 23, 2012
    I know we have parental controls.

But, for those of us who are generally short on tuners in the house, I think each Joey should have a secure way of locking any selected Joey out of setting recordings or modifying the programs on the DVR. Make it a sort of "read only" client.

If I have a Joey in my five year old's room, I don't want them to be able to accidentally delete any of my timers or recordings and I may not want them scheduling the Hopper to record 200 episodes of Sponge Bob either.

Right now, there's nothing stopping them from doing any of that.

I am amazed that this feature was not included already.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It should do this already as long as you don't set your timer to "new" only. It will not record more than one of each episode unless something is wrong with the EPG data... and it will record any unique episode as long as you haven't flagged to only record new ones.

18. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    We should be able to cut off time from the beginning or end of a recording.

I recorded a PG-13 movie from Cinemax. The auto timer started 3 minutes early. Imagine my chagrin when the previous show had not finished and was a Skinemax special! I couldn't very well keep the recording.

19. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    You can edit start/stop on individual timers or the default, but not recordings after recording.

20. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    +1
    I am unfamiliar with the 622, but a list view would be nice.