1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DVR Stockpiling: What's Piled Up On Your DVR?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From TV By The Numbers:

DVR Stockpiling: What's Piled Up On Your DVR?
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

So, whats stockpiled on your DVR?

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    My wife has 166 episodes of One Life To Live on one of my DVR :mad:

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Nada.

My kids HR21 always has the most recent 5 episodes of about 20 shows.

My HR34 is currently 80% free (most of that is the second season of Boardwalk Empire that my wife is working on - I've already seen them & 13 episodes of Once Upon a Time we just started watching. Other than that, only about 6 things on the unit) my HR21 is 100% free.

We generally watch something and delete it.

Back in Feb we only had about 30% free as we typically don't watch new shows right away, but since then we've either watched them or gave up on them and deleted them.

I never watch TV shows/sporting events more than once and have enough DVD's/Blu-Ray's/Netflix to not need to store movies.

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The kids HR34 has:

61 episodes of Tom & Jerry
    30 episodes of Tom & Jerry Kids
    6 episodes of Simpsons
    5 different Tom & Jerry Movies
    45 Sponge Bob Square Pants

5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Adult HR34 has the following:

6 episodes of Ice Road Truckers
    2 episodes of Suits
    3 episodes of Common Law
    5 episodes of Kojak
    3 Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction

everything else is pretty much single episodes which are recorded and watched within a night or two.

6. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Until I decided to can it I had all the first season of Last Man Standing. Now other then some movies I have recorded during free-views I have a few episodes of Touch, and American Chopper. I always try and keep up with shows I like/watch!

For the kids, well that's another story, Dora, Caillou, Scooby, Peppa Pig, Team Umizomi, Max and Ruby... the list goes on and on. I bet you can guess (from those shows) the age of my kids. But each of those have at least 12 each.

7. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I have 13 episodes of Flashpoint stored. My husband is stockpiling True Blood, The Borgias and Game of Thrones. He is also recording X-Files from the beginning.

I had begun re-recording MI 5. But I've caught up on those.

8. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    NCIS 19 episodes
    Castle 15 episodes
    CSI NY 10 episodes
    L&O SVU 9 episodes

9. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well until this week, I had 59 episodes of Peter Gunn. I'm now down to 11.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^ I've got a bunch of episodes of Gunn and Dragnet and Adam-12, plus some Jack Benny, Naked City, Green Hornet, Wild, Wild West, Police Story, McHale's Navy, Burns and Allen and a whole slew of other stuff, both recent and classic.

2TB HDD on the media PC nearly full. I have no idea how many hours are there.

512 doesn't have too much on it.

11. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    What channel?

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    At the time they were on RTV, but now they're running on Antenna TV (both OTA sub-channels).

13. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    My DVR is currently filled to the brim with Seinfeld episodes lol.

14. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    I watch & delete on my HR34. Currently at about 60-70% free space, depending on the day.

The rest of the family rarely deletes anything on their HR34, which seems to always be at 1-5% free space.

I need to get through the last 18 episodes of The Wire, 8 of Falling Skies, 4 of Justified, and a bunch of premium channel movies that I recorded anticipating a slow recording summer.

I've been keeping up with Burn Notice and Suits, so not much building up this summer yet, but usually like to always have the latest few recordings of Letterman, Leno, Conan, Kimmel, and Fallon to catch any interesting guests. And always have the last recording of Boomer & Carton as well.

The 5 tuner capability of the HR34 has made recording conflict-free, hopefully for eternity, for me and the family. If it's interesting, record it.

15. Starchild

Starchild Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    Until last week it was the full season of "person of interest". What a great show!

My last big item is the last 2 seasons of "Chuck".

16. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    We must have the same kids.

We do the same with new shows. If they catch on, we will watch, if they get the hook after one season, then we will delete.

I do keep a DVR that does nothing but record movies. When we get to watch a movie, it is usually more of a spontaneous thing, so having a bunch on the DVR makes sense. Too many restrictions for PPV.

17. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    mythbusters 14 episodes

18. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    The last three episodes of Dallas on our 722k. Ordinarily we watch and delete - more like using the DVR to stockpile the commercials we like to skip thru.

We also tend to record programs and do some time-shifting. Thursdays and Fridays are our least favorite nights on TV.

19. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Just went through and cleaned some stuff out of the External HD, had most of Ringer that I deleted and several movies I finally watched. Anyway stuff left from memory was Boardwalk empire (everything after 1st season I think 20+ episodes), Luther 6 ep's, All of Grimm, most everything is movies either newly released or older ones I like. Actual DVR doesn't have much on it after I accidentally wiped it a few weeks back, think I have a few ep's of Graham Norton and that's about all. All the new running shows currently going I like too much to watch any later than a few hours to a few days after they air.

20. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Spread across four receivers and a couple EHD's I have not yet watched entire seasons of:

Alphas
    Person of Interest
    Missing
    The Firm
    The Killing (both seasons)
    Luther (season two)
    Homeland
    Strike Back
    Boss
    Alcatraz
    Luck
    Rubicon

I may never get around to watching some of the now canceled shows.