1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DVR to hard drive

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by barb1236, Aug 14, 2009.

1. barb1236

barb1236 New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Have a dish dvr VIP622 and bought a 250g hard drive to record programs on that are recorded on the dvr. The dvr doesn't recognize the hard drive. Strange because I can put in a flash drive and it recognizes that I have put something in the usb port.

What must I do to get the hard drive recognized by the dvr and then record from the dvr to the hard drive?:(:rolleyes:)

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You have to call Dish and have that option added (and pay the $40 fee to do so).

3. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    It recognizes a flash drive because you can put pictures off a flash drive onto the DVR's drive.

Also the EHD has to be reformatted (if this is a used drive with FAT or NTFS it will have to be wiped and reformatted to Dish' specifications). This will happen automatically after you agree to pay the one time $39.95 fee. The 800# to call shows up on the screen saver as one of the messages that float across the screen when the 622 is turned off.

Not all EHD's are compatible with a ViP DVR. I use a Seagate 1.5TB (which is larger than they recommend but it works). A compatible drive has to be fast enough to playback programming directly off the drive. It also has to be a single platter drive (i.e. not spanned). If you record mainly HD programming a 250gb drive will fill up before you know it.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    "It also has to be a single platter drive " -> quite incorrect.

Should be stated as single LUN drive, ie one spindle type.