1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DVR - What did I do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SeaCWest, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaCWest

SeaCWest Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    About two weeks ago, I turned on the set and it was right in the middle of a movie I've seen long time ago but thought it would be cool to record and watch later. I figured it would just start recording at the point I hit record, but to my amazement, it recorded the whole movie from start to finish.

Thinking this is a way cool feature, I tried it again yesterday when I came across a Hitchcock movie about 2/3rds over, this time however it did what I figured it would do the first time and that is start recording from the moment I hit 'record'.

What the heck did I do the first time? and how do I do it again. :confused:

ps: I did a search finding none, so hoping I'm not repeating a post.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Did you change the channel or take the unit out of stand by the 2nd time?

If you changed the channel the beginning of the show was not buffered the 2nd time and that is why it only recorded from the point you hit record.

If the unit was in stand by and you turned it on the buffer was also cleared and that is why it only recorded from the point you started watching it. But this will be fixed soon. DirecTV is working on the buffer only clearing if you change channels and no other reason.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The HR2x has a 90 minute buffer. That is, HR2x stores the previous 90 minutes of programming. So if you hit "Record" less than 90 minutes into a show, it will be able to go back to the beginning and record the entire show. However, once you change the channel, the buffer is emptied, and it starts again. In that case, it will not be able to go back and record the part of the show that you missed.

4. kstefanec

kstefanec AllStar

May 13, 2007
    Now if only we had 100+ live buffers and 100 Petabyte harddrive....

Think of the possiblities!

Oh, wait, we can't even get dual live buffers...

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If only we could buffer the entire stream from all satellites for 168 consecutive hours!

6. SeaCWest

SeaCWest Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    Thanks guys

You are 100% right on. I tried again, Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much" on HDNet. Purposely started about 1 hour into it and hit record. Then turned the unit off. Upon return, the entire movie recorded.

7. PittCaleb

PittCaleb AllStar

Nov 2, 2007
    A few years ago a friend of mine called thinking my TiVo did just this. He missed a program and thought my DVR recoded everything and I could create a VHS copy for him. ROTFL. I wish!

I do think with DoD/Comcast on Demand and being fed through the Internet side, we are getting closer to this every day.

PittCaleb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.