1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E* becomes the HDLITE Leader

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by HDTVFanAtic, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 9, 2007 #1 of 83
    HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    Pretty sad state of affairs when Directv is blowing away Dish on DiscoveryHD Theater

1920x1080i on DirecTV
    1440x1080i on Dish

13.25 Mbps Video Bitrate on DirecTV
    8.22 Mbps Video Bitrate on Dish

I-Frame 61,648 bytes on DirecTV
    I-Frame 40,028 bytes on Dish

Both flunk putting 2 B frames back to back - but Directv still has 50% more Video Bitrate and higher resolution than Dish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aug 9, 2007 #2 of 83
    thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    To bad the D* HD DVR sucks more than a Bissel Vaccum cleaner. E* is THE leader when it comes to HD receivers.

I'll stick with my 622's despite the "defective" HD signal.

-Funk

3. Aug 9, 2007 #3 of 83
    l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    And too bad the two posted images only show that two small, badly compressed jpgs were uploaded to imageshack.

4. Aug 9, 2007 #4 of 83
    markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006

Why does the D* HD DVR suck? Please backup your claim. I see E* is going to enable your USB ports for $39.99. The USB on D* has been working for quite awhile now and at no charge. I am not trying to turn this into a pissing match. You like your DVR and I like mine for each of our own reasons.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #5 of 83
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Just a correction, it's the eSATA port that's been enabled for an external drive, not USB. From what I've seen of the 622's feature it's a bit more advanced the the HR20's since you don't loose the internal drives function and used the external USB drive for archiving recordings.

But back on topic. Wonder why D*'s decided all of a sudden to bump DHDT back up to 1920x1080 and how did they find the bandwidth to do it? Wonder if they got some better encoders?

6. Aug 9, 2007 #6 of 83
    tonytony24

tonytony24 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Question about Programming. Is it just me or does Dish offers more HD programming than Direct? Just wanted to confirm, looking to change my Dish subscription...

7. Aug 9, 2007 #7 of 83
    markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    I think Dish does have more HD channels right now, but that will change next month for Directv. The reason I didn't go with Dish for HD alot of their HD channels I would never watch. Sure they have FOOD, A&E for sometime now, but I am can wait for those. Good things come to those who wait is what I always say.

8. Aug 9, 2007 #8 of 83
    braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ha ha ha ha ha yeah right. Keep living in denial.

9. Aug 9, 2007 #9 of 83
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Here's a chart, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=11185308 , that shows what the providers have now and what they've annoucned as channels that they'll carry. The chart does not include any regional sports channels if that's a concern of yours. So while E* has more HD now if the chart is correct and D* carries all it's supposed to then D* will have more then E*, unless E* announces more. The who has more HD might end up being a question thats answer changes from week to week.

10. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Mark,

What WILL happen in September, none of us know for sure. DirecTV has been promising to ramp up their HD carriage for 2 years, and they seem ready to offer more very soon. The question will be how many providers will offer an HD source for Third Party providers to carry.

What we do know NOW is that Dish has 31 HD channels right now, with 7 More coming for SURE on August 15th and September 1st, and a rumored additional 7 Channels in Mid September. If an additional 7 channels are added in September that would account for almost all of the Nationally available HD channels for the rest of this year.

We can argue which provider is better forever. The bottom line is that both DBS providers are working hard to add as many HD channels as possible (GREAT, YES), and for the near term DBS providers will have similar offerings in HD. The same can NOT be said for the Wired ones, most cable company offerings, pale in comparison.

One last quip though, how do you know you wouldn't watch many of the Dish HD offerings that you do not get, when you do not KNOW what you are missing. Personally I enjoy many of the VOOM channels, sure they repeat a lot but I really enjoy much of what they offer.

Some nights I'd watch PAINT DRY in HD if it was carried.

John

11. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    While the HR-20 had a few bugs to begin with, it is an excellent box now. I dont have the 622, but do have an older dish DVR and in the only comparison I can make the directv DVR is head and shoulders better. The 622 should be much better than the one I have however. I just wouldnt say the HR-20 sucks when it doesnt. Do you have any basis for comparison?

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I think your findings may have more to do with timing than SOP. Back in April, the DFW bitrate monitor measured DHDT on D* at 1280x1080i with a bitrate of 13.5.

Dish Network is shuffling things around right now with their move of the VOOM channels to MPEG4.

Your findings may confirm my contention that 1920x1080i requires less bandwidth than downscaled content.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Check out MiloMinderbinder2's list of promised features that aren't there yet.

To be certain, a lot of the complaints about the HR20 stem from the departure from familiar features that previous DVRs had (TiVo, Replay, Ultimate TV). There are enough omissions and misbehavior that "excellent" clearly doesn't apply. I'll buy serviceable. The HR20 can (and will) get much better.

14. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    DLB???

15. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    All i know is I have had Zero problems, and the features that might not be there arent missed. Perhaps its because i am not used to them, we are creatures of habit.
    But i agree 100% with your last sentence.

16. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Ok guys.. This topic is not about DVR comparisons it is about HD Picture quality being delivered though based the one sample personally I would not come to the conclusion the OP did.

I would say interesting Data point... But basically I see one data point and to make the claim of the OP, wouldn't one have to see all the channels side by side? Well at least the ones that in common.

And I will start removing DVR feature comparison posts from now on.. Take that to another thread.

17. Chandu

Chandu Hall Of Fame

Oct 2, 2005
    I would be interested in seeing bitrate measurement of some VOOM channels I regularly watch, e.g. Equator HD, RAVE HD, HDNEWs, World Film HD (or whatever it's called).

Or how about bitrate measurements for HDNet as well?

18. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    I don't really care what DFW bitrate monitor shows as he does it by file size - therfore its just a guess.

I measured the same program on E* and D* - so the bottom line is, as can be seen by the MPEG2Repair Output - the Video Bitrate was over 50% higher on D* than E*.

19. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    As E* is downgrading all their 1920x1080 to 1440x1080, then they clearly are the HDLITE leader.

And again, as this is the same program from both sources, it is a very telling tale as to bitrate.

Let me just ask, what 1920x1080i channel does E* deliver throughout its system that is 13.25Mbps Video bitrate or higher?

If the answer is nothing, then it seems they are the HDLITE leader.

20. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005

They are all HD-LITE.

None are 1920x1080i.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.