1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E* CSR called me - low signals

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by david_jr, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1 of 44
    david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    E* CSR called me today and said that they had detected I had low signals and they want to send a tech to the house to fix for free. Is this legit? I have had big time problems with snow/rain fade, but not so bad in clear weather. Does my receiver report back all the problems somehow? Is there a catch and they're trying to sell me something? They're sending someone on Monday.

2. Apr 9, 2009 #2 of 44
    solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    these phone calls do go out, I recommend calling dish network via a number that you have in your billing information to verify just in case!

3. Apr 9, 2009 #3 of 44
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    No, it's actually legit. Your receiver is reporting signal loss over the phone line, and there's enough reports that Dish is being proactive.

4. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Thanks coldsteel. FWIW last night I was trying to watch Masters on DVR and about every 1 to 2 minutes the reciever interrupted saying I lost sat on whatever channel the receiver was tuned to. tried changing to channels on all 3 sats 110/119/61.5, but it kept doing it and it was quite aggravating. Interestingling some shows were recorded during that time and they were fine.:confused:

5. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Just about a Year ago, I received the same call. 3 days later, they came on site and put in a brand new Dish and even ran new cables. Talk about ProActive customer support, take care of a problem before the user even notices.

6. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    And some people still refuse to attached their receivers to a phone line/internet connection!

7. stormchaser09

stormchaser09 Cool Member

Apr 5, 2009

not to be smart, but some people like myself can't efford a land
    line,and the way i understand it the 625 dvr dial out won't work
    on a dry dsl line,even though my caller id works,i didn't know this
    when i sighed up with dish two weeks ago or i would have went with directv,
    i think this is just another way for dish to make 5 bucks more a month
    from their customer's,if direct doesn't need a phone line connected
    then they must have a better system.but to late now i'm stuck for two years.

8. ehb224

ehb224 Legend

Apr 3, 2008
    You can afford SAT tv but you can't afford a phone? :confused:

9. chainblu

chainblu Legend

May 14, 2006
    It doesn't matter which provider you use, YOU are still going to pay $5 for the 2nd room.

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    E* dumped the $5 no phone line fee in Feb. as part of the latest price increase. Maybe it's only if you have DVR Advantage, but there is now a way to avoid the fee on dual tuner boxes. If you have separate boxes OTOH the fee still applies. This fee is there to keep their customers honest, otherwise someone could authorize a box and give it to someone at a different address.

If you have a single tuner and only one box you don't have to have the phone line connected.

BTW: I wonder if anyone tried a "Magic Jack" to connect their satellite box? After all it provides a dial tone and uses standard telephone equipment to dial out.

11. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    How does your caller ID work, if you don't have a landline?

12. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    Magic.

Better question, why is someone calling a DSL dry line?

13. stormchaser09

stormchaser09 Cool Member

Apr 5, 2009
    this is the way i'm setup, dry dsl from att,voip that runs off the dsl for
    home phone,1 dish 625 duel tunner and 2 room setup with no box on 2nd
    tv in the bedroom,and phone line running running out of the voip box
    with spliter 1line to phone and 1 line to the 625 dvr.for the caller id

14. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    What VOIP box are you using? I understand the Dry DSL(DSL DIRECT from ATT), I have a friend that use that service. I use VOIP service, works just fine with my ViP622's. Was wondering what VOIP box/Service(yes this is your landline) you are using.
    Were I have a phone number for my DSL line(I could save $8 by doing the DSL Direct, I use number for any and all business I deal with, including Dish Network, nice way to screen), that number comes in on one par in the house, and the DSL comes in on a different pair into the house, and the VOIP is all we use for the house phone calls.

15. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    OK, I'm ignorant enough to bite... What is a DSL Dry Line? ... and isn't this a restriction that E* can overcome with software? (Not that I expect them to since I'm still waiting for them to "overcome" the sleep timer issues with the Seagate EHDs. :rolleyes:)

16. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Dry DSL, or in the Case of ATT, its just called DSL Direct. You just don't get your standard phone line along with your DSL service. You save $8-$10.

In my case when I looked at about a year ago and even double checked today, its a $8 savings or so. I pay 13.50 flat Rate, I have no long distance or any service with my phone line. All the Surcharges, Government Fees and Tax's are still the same, with the DSL direct service. In my case I have Elite DSL, fastest they go, and get it for 34.99.

If I dropped the phone line that comes with the DSL line and Go DSL Direct, I would drop the 13.50 Flat Rate, but the Elite service goes from 34.99 to 45.00.
    Its a savings, but the $8 I could save, I just use the number for all Credit Cards, Car loan, Super Markets, Dish Network, SDGE(Power) you name the monthly bill or company they have the number I have had, that goes back to the days were 28.8k Modems were FAST. No business has my Vonage number, only family and friends. Wife and kids know anytime they fill out paperwork info on something they use that number. I haven't lost a phone call off the Home/Business answering machines in YEARS, and with Teenage Girls(Heck Teenage anything) missed messages or deleted messages can( I guess I should say WILL) happen.

I have used Vonage from almost the Beginning of thier Service, and I have 2 ViP 622's plugged into the Vonage Box, and no issues at all. Last year when I had the same problem(going on 18 months), it was the Vonage line plugged into the 622, but dish called my back on the number they have on my billing info. So I am wondering what VOIP service he is using as Vonage works just fine with Dish.

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=11523
    Try that link

17. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Thanks, GB ... u da man!

I have Qwest DSL and phone service - that's all that's up here that doesn't need some sort of line-of-sight (microwave or satellite). In other words, it's the only hard-wired service available to me.

I've never heard of the dry line term, and I don't recall Qwest mentioning me having a special phone line. As I understand it, the phone jack extension gizmo plugged into a wall outlet doesn't work for Dish. I can confirm that, even though they were the ones who sold me one.

Since I'm experiencing the same problem as stormchaser; that is Caller ID works fine, but my 622 can't call in, I'm wondering what other similarities there are between his/her AT&T line and my Qwest line?

18. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Is this correct the only reason I connected my 625 was to avoid the phone fee. I have 3 510's and have NEVER connected them to a phone line. I maybe risking an audit call but all my receivers are at the same address.

I never wanted to connect the 625 but hated the fee. Does any one know if I remove the phone line now E* wont charge the fee? I hate calling customer noservice they can be a waste of time.

I do not like the phone line because of the spy factor. Remember the janet jackson boob gate? TIVO was quick to point out that JJ's boob was the most rewound event in TIVO history at least at that time it was. I do not like the idea that E* knows what I rewind and when I skip commercials. I do not know if the 625 telsl them that kind of info but then again I did not know it told E* when I lost a signal either.

19. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    According to my on-line statement, the $5 fee is still being assessed if you have a dual-TV reciever/DVR and neither is connected full-time to a phone line.

20. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    :rolleyes:

And who says E* does? :sure: