1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E* gets the jump and adds more HD channels today

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by upnorth, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upnorth

upnorth Godfather

Jun 21, 2006
    Looks like Charlie took advantage of what bandwidth they have left and added the following HD channels today.

Top 100 and higher:
    9469 - MHD - Music High Definition
    9487 - Discovery HD (not the same as Discovery HD Theater)
    9488 - The Learning Channel

Top 200 and higher
    9489 - Animal Planet HD

Top 250
    9468 - Versus/Golf Channel
    9490 - The Science Channel

2. chopperjc

chopperjc Godfather

Oct 2, 2006
    Great for them. I love competition.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Fast out of the block, but not enough to win the overall race... ;)

Even some of the greatest race horses that are first to the 1/4 mile mark, end up not in the lead at the 1/2, 3/4, or even the finishline...

4. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    Excellent! E* subs. Enjoy your new HD. Maybe let us know what the programming is like.

5. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    Yeah Im happy about it, this is good for all of us

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    This has been known for a month or so. And he's getting the bandwidth by converting the Voom channels to all MPEG4.

7. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    Directv should fight back and disable all the shopping, religon, and women's channels and try to get us 1 or 2 more HD channels until the new satellite is operational.

8. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Or they just wait the few more weeks.... and stick to their plan...

DirecTV's plans are well know, pretty much documented.
    A "few" extra channels on one provider may make their customers a little happier, a small percentage of new subscribers may select them "today"...

But overall... in the big picture... really doesn't change anything.

9. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    And with a little luck this time next month we will be laughing and enjoying more HD then them :)

10. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    I thought throwing in the "women's channels" would help to imply that was a joke.

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Nice but at least when our HD comes online we call ALL receive them with the base package. Looks to me with E* you have to step up to the higher packages to get most of the HD. Where or what is the advantage?!!

12. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Actually, the VOOM channels are still up there in MPEG-2, as of now. When they convert, E* can use that bandwidth for more channels in September.

13. upnorth

upnorth Godfather

Jun 21, 2006
    Hey I'm a happy D*sub just passing this info on to see what everyone thinks about Charlie's Intensions.;)

14. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718

i hope we can recieve all the new HD stations but I THINK it will work the same way with D* what ever channels are in your TC/Choice or TC+/Choice Extra package you will recieve in HD...
    or am i mistaken does the $9.99 HD access give you all the HD stations??

15. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    No, the hd access fee give you the HD version of whatever is in your basic programing package.

So if you dont have the SD version, no HD version.

16. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    The religious channels are way over represented IMO. I am a minister I can hardly stand to watch them (and rarely do) All the channels are basically the same. Just like the shopping channels.

I know people watch these channels BUT just WHO are those people? :)

One thing nice about satellite. Lots of choices. Beat 3 channels and rabbit ears any time :)

17. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I know...just busting E*s balls.......again....:D

18. generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    I hear by Nominate you our leader for the "Can we have a little less God/Shopping channels and have a little better bitrates and higher resolution coalition". I hear Karl Rove is now available as a lobbyist. :D

I'd also like to point out 6 new HD channels isn't something to laugh off. Lets face it earl that's almost the same size of D* former HD pack. The other side to that is some of these channels came about because of D* HD roll out plans.

19. primetime

primetime Legend

Mar 23, 2007
    I wonder do the religious channels operate like the shopping channels? As far as I know the shopping channels pay DirecTV to be broadcast on their system rather than the other way around of D* paying to broadcast the channels. The shopping channels become a revenue source for D* . Do the the religious channels pay D* and other carriers to broadcst them? I haven't watched one for a long time but from what I remember as a kid when we had the huge 9 foot stainless steel dish the religious channels spent most of their time asking for money from the viewers, like one continuous telethon. Is this their purpose or MO? Buy time on the air, ask for money constantly and hope to come out ahead in the end? Most of the guys seeme a little wacky and I must admit I learn more about religion on the History Channel than from these guys.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A year or two head start is hardly what I'd call a holeshot. We'll see if D*'s "fashionably late" start gets them where they want to be.

On the other hand, it isn't a foregone conclusion that E* will make something of their "most laps lead" points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.