1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E* on vacation!!!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mattb, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    Im on vacation in East Brunswick NJ and the hotel I am staying at gets their "locals" plus HBOs and a few other selected stations from E*... It rained really bad the other day and the TV stated " seraching for satellite signal"

since all the channels are piped to various analog tv Channlels i bet they have a rack of E* receivers pulling the various channels then xmitting them over a close circuit cable type system... (I noticed one looked to be 26" dish on the back of the roof concealed...

What gets me how they get all those systems up so each reciver can tune a various channel...

for instance when Fox 5 came back it showed the title and description and gave the E* channel # for the local Fox affiliate here..

anyways, I noticed when on staten island that there was TONS of Dishes from E* to D* to Satellite Internet mounted left and right... Even apartment buildings had people with dishes mounted on poles or on the roof.. one roof of a 2 story 8 apt building apeared to have 5 or 6 E* or D* dishes all mounted... I was amazed...

Is it me or am I soo crazy that I look for Dishes while on vacation? *laughs*

2. Timco

Timco Woof! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 7, 2002
    You're asking the inmates if you are crazy? :D

3. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner Banned User

Apr 24, 2002
    Its a simple headend system where each reciever tunes to 1 specific channel and then its re-modulated out like analog cable.

You can use just about any reciever, such as a 301 or 2800. There is 1 model which is rack mountable, but its around $500 :(

4. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    Is it me or am I soo crazy that I look for Dishes while on vacation? *laughs*

No your just a dbs Geek

5. mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    Yea I kinda figured they had a rack of recievers, when signal was lost durning the rain, I noticed some channels had newer splash screens on "signal" lost, and others had older screens, hinse older receivers hehe..

Also I think a few of their receivers turn themselves off because Fox went out the other night and then eventually came back with a "aquiring satellite signal" but all the other channels where fine..

6. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I even look for satellite dishes in my neighborhood and when I travel anywhere else.

Tonight while I was watching the Echostar 9 launch, my wife wanted to get busy and I told her not during the launch. I was afraid if the rocket crashed so would I.

She even offered to put a satellite dish on her head and strap a Charlie Ergan mask on her face and dance with dual remote controls in her hands. She called it " The Satellite Dish Dance".
    So don't feel bad I 'm a dbs geek too :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.