1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E* to D* converts - PQ comparison on 50+ screen?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GreyGhost00, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyGhost00

GreyGhost00 AllStar

Aug 12, 2003
    I'm looking at pulling the trigger to change to D* after 6 years with E*. I can't get past the fact that from the setups I've seen, the D* SD PQ on large screen sets appears to be worse than E*. For folks who have done the switch lately and have large screen setups, what have your opinions been? It would be helpful if you listed when you switched.
    While I'm thinking of switching for HD content, I will still be watching plenty of SD material.

2. ride525

ride525 Legend

Aug 13, 2003
    I have exactly the same question...am thinking of switching...although may wait 3 more weeks for September 8 Charlie Chat on High Definition.

I asked similar question here....am interested in any comments.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=291487

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I switched in July from E* to D* on my 55" Hitachi the picture definitely is not worse I think it is a little better but that is subjective.

4. Timco

Timco Woof! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 7, 2002
    I just switched last week. I have a 50" Toshiba and IMHO the PQ looks the same.

5. DBSPaul

DBSPaul Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 26, 2002
    I switched at least 2 years ago (perhaps a little longer), and for me the PQ on D* was better in that I felt it was a sharper picture. (This on a 60" Hitachi.) While I still had both, watching anything on E* for any length of time made me feel like I needed eyeglasses, since at the time they were running a "soft" picture. Obviously things have changed quite a bit over that period of time.

6. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I have Dish and Directv on a 50 inch analog Mitsibishi tv. Here is what I noticed:

On Dish on one of the s-video inputs, I have the brightness and contrast about in the middle , no sharpness and the color turned down. Dish is more colorful to me than Directv. The backgrounds of the picture have some artifacting while they show a solid colored wall unless you turn the contrast down.

On Directv on the other s-video input , I have the brightness and contrast turned up a bit more and no sharpness and the color turned up to about middle because the picture is washed out compared to Dish unless I turn the color way up . I notice sharper closeups of faces but the backgrounds have more artifacting than Dish even when they don't show solid backgrounds.

Over all I perfer Dish's picture for over all consistency and quality to Directv's. Of course picture quality is subjective. :)

7. sfowler2

sfowler2 Mentor

Feb 26, 2003
    I switched this past Friday. I have mostly been watching my local channels (NY) and Fox Sports NY (I'm a die hard Mets fan. I know, I know...). On a 57" Toshiba RPTV using an HDVR2 direct to the TV through S-video I'm noticing more digital compression artifacts. On HDTV receiver I'm seeing the same thing, more artifacts. Also, the colors don't seem as vibrant as E*. Overall, it's not too bad. But after three days I think E*'s picture is better.

8. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    FYI-D* PQ SHOULD improve after the launch of their new satellite by the end of the year. This will allow them to move more locals to spotbeams and loosen up on the overcompression.

9. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I hope it does. Channel 639 Fox Sports Net Chicago's picture during Cubs games and White Sox games aren't as clear and as pretty as other Fox Sports Net Channels. I've noticed this for quite a while now.

10. forklifter

forklifter AllStar

Dec 20, 2002
    So what is better for a hook up component or s-video Im getting ready to hook up a 48" mitisubishi when it gets back from the shop I guess I can experiment for my self just wondering what all your opinions are

11. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    Don't hold your breath. For both E* and D*, they tend to add more channels than improve PQ.

12. GreyGhost00

GreyGhost00 AllStar

Aug 12, 2003
    That's fine as long as they are HD channels

13. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    HD 480p or 1080i? Makes a big diff. Bandwidth vs. volume of channels: channels always win.

14. GreyGhost00

GreyGhost00 AllStar

Aug 12, 2003
    480p isn't HD.
    Great - I need the "thumb twiddling" channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.