1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E* web site says that I should get my locales in HD but I don’t!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by MadScientist, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadScientist

MadScientist Godfather

Nov 30, 2004
    Hello, I hope that someone can help me understand this. I am about to call E* on Monday. My question is I have the AEP + HD package + locals. I went on E* web site to see where my locals are and the list shows that I should be getting ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX
    In HD?

I have the Vip-622 with two dishes on my roof. The web site at E* shows the listing on 118.7

But, on my screen on the television it has (sat 110, 119, 61.5)

So my point in this entire posting is where are my locals in HD and how do I get this. When they installed the unit sat 129 did not work due to trees in the way.

Thank you for your help

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you are in the Raleigh or Charlotte DMA, then locals are in HD on Dish at the 118.7 location.

You would need either a 1000+ or a 500+ dish to receive them. In your case (similar to my configuration) with a wing dish for 61.5/129, you would need to have your other dish (110/119) replaced with the one that gets 110/119/118.7

Price for this upgrade varies. Depending on how recent your installation was, you may have reason to complain/request a free upgrade. But if you have had Dish for a while, you may have to pay something for the required additional equipment.

The upgrade also ends up requiring a DPP44 switch, if you don't already have one, because the 500+/1000+ assembly does not have a built-in switch... so even if you have to pay for the upgrade, if you get the typical $59.99 upgrade that is a good deal because it includes new dish/LNBs and a switch that costs much more than that if you bought the items yourself.

3. MadScientist

MadScientist Godfather

Nov 30, 2004
    I had upgraded to the Vip-622 about 4 months ago. That is when went to HD also. I had asked about this but never given a clear reason as to why I don't have them.

Is it due to not able to use the dish 129 sat. That is why I had to have a second dish installed to get my HD.

I live about 10 miles north of Roxboro NC on Hyco Lake

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I believe that puts you in the Greensboro DMA ? Which means you are NOT in Raleigh or Charlotte - which probably means you can NOT get your locals in HD via the dish - only OTA. Unless I'm wrong about Greensboro HD locals available on Dish...

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I think Scooper may be right... Greensboro HD locals are not on Dish, just the SD ones... and it sounds like you are smack dab outside of both DMAs that they do carry HD locals for.

6. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Where can you check (online) to see if Dish has your locals in HD and is there an additional charge (if so, how much) to get the locals in HD if you already pay for locals in SD?

7. jessshaun

jessshaun Legend

Sep 13, 2005
    If you pay for your SD locals then the HD locals are free of charge.

8. MadScientist

MadScientist Godfather

Nov 30, 2004
    Here is what I get when I give my mailing address to DisNetwork: but still don't get my locals in HD. So what gives?

LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE

Congratulations! This address is eligible for the:
    Raleigh/Durham, NC Local Network Package

Please note: Only channels denoted by "HD" are in high definition. Those without this notation are only available in standard definition.

If you do not see HD local channels currently available in your area, you may still be able to receive them via a high definition off-air antenna.

Local channels currently available in this package:
    Raleigh/Durham, NC Locals Package - $5.99 per month
    Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number
    RALEIGH - DURHAM ABC-WTVD 11 8750
    RALEIGH ABC-WTVD IN HD 11 6465
    RALEIGH - DURHAM CBS-WRAL 5 8751
    RALEIGH CBS-WRAL IN HD 5 6466
    RALEIGH - DURHAM CW-WLFL 22 8754
    RALEIGH - DURHAM FOX-WRAZ 50 8753
    RALEIGH FOX-WRAZ IN HD 50 6468
    RALEIGH - DURHAM MNT-WRDC 28 8755
    RALEIGH - DURHAM NBC-WNCN 17 8752
    RALEIGH NBC-WNCN IN HD 17 6467
    RALEIGH - DURHAM PBS-WUNC 4 8756
    RALEIGH - DURHAM UNVSN-WUVC 40 8757

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Is your mailing address different from your install address? You don't live in a mailbox so that address isn't valid for DMA qualification. If you do qualify for Raliegh you need a dish aimed for 118.7 which you don't have.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You need to have a Dish that sees 118.75 in order to get the HD locals. If you don't have a dish that sees the slot - you won't get it.

YOU need to call Dish to get them to put up a setup that sees 61.5, 110, 119, and 118.75

11. jimb

jimb AllStar

Feb 12, 2006
    For those of us who have been getting locals in SD only for a long time. Is there a plan to get all of those channels converted to HD????? I hate not being able to record 2 HD shows at the same time with my OTA.

12. MadScientist

MadScientist Godfather

Nov 30, 2004
    What sat sees the 118.7?

When the guy came out to install the 622 he had the dish 1000 I think at the time, but due to trees in the way he could not install it. He had to install the second 500 dish. Is this why I am not getting my locals in HD? I am just tring to understand this before I talk to Dish on Monday.

13. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Read post #2 118.7 and 119 are virtually the same location but use different bands. You have the wrong dish but you do have line of sight, 129 has nothing to do with your problem.

14. MadScientist

MadScientist Godfather

Nov 30, 2004
    Hello,

I would just like to thank everyone for your help I sent an email to the CEO of Dish Network and in less then an hour a rep called to ask if Wednesday the 31st would be all right for this installation of a new winged dish and a new dish for the other sat including 118.7 LNB and a new DPP44.

Thank you again,

Is there anything else I should know about?

15. vicw

vicw Cool Member

Sep 7, 2003
    Glad to hear that you are getting resolution to your install problem. I had almost the same scenario a couple of weeks ago, with a new install of 2 dishes in Southern Pines. They showed up with 2 dish 500's, and lnbs for 61.5, 110 and 119 only, and no switch. I argued that they could not get the Raleigh/Durham HD locals without 118.7, but the installer insisted that those channels were paralled on 61.5, which I was virtually certain was incorrect, based on everything I have seen about each of the sats. In the end, of course, the local HDs were not available.

A call to Dish resolved the problem, fortunately, and they had another installer out within a couple of days to install the 1000 dish and the DPP44 switch. I'm satisfied that everything is fine now, but I really suspect that the local installers were just trying to save the cost of a switch, assuming I wouldn't notice the difference. In my opinion, the installer flat out lied to me to get me to let him complete the incorrect installation, or he was woefully incompetent. If I ever need service from Dish, he will be on my don't send list.

16. psnarula

psnarula Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    ^ what a pitiful story. how can the installers be so incompetent?

17. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    It is not so much incompetence as it is a lack of adequate training. The only real requirement E* and D* have is that they work cheap. Most people want free installation so the companies keep the cost down by not raising the pay for installations. This also drives out the more experienced installers.

18. vicw

vicw Cool Member

Sep 7, 2003
    In this instance I really don't think it was either incompetence or inadequate training. He seemed to me to be an experienced installer, working regularly in the Raleigh area, and he had to know that the 118.7 sat was necessary for the local HD channels.

I really believe he knew that the work order was wrong, and that he had the wrong parts with him, and when I challenged him, he made a quick decision to tell me a whopper, with the pretense of a voice of authority of an experienced installer, in order to get me to agree to the installation, so that he would get paid.

19. MadScientist

MadScientist Godfather

Nov 30, 2004
    Well just and update, I received a call from Dish Network this morning and the installer has to reschedule the installation due to not have the equipment to do the job. I must be the only person that needs this done. I can’t believe that they don’t have the parts! What do you think of this? It is rescheduled for Thursday the 8th.

20. vicw

vicw Cool Member

Sep 7, 2003
    That's pretty surprising. I would think the parts they need would be common as grass for a Dish installer, but maybe they don't really keep that stuff on their shelves locally. I guess I may have lucked out with a two day cycle with mine. At least they have given a fixed date for the reschedule, so we can hope they deliver on time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.