1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EA fires first shot at used game sales

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Galaxie6411, May 11, 2010.

1. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    EA is going to require a unique code to play their sports games online starting with the 2011 series'. It'll take an additional $10 to play a used game online once this tales effect.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088621p1.html

My guess is this is the first shot in a war that will end up marrying a new game to your system and killing the possibility of ever selling it used.

I am not a EA supporter and will not buy their games, after they locked up the NFL license I was done with them. It will be very interesting how this effects Gamefly.

2. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    EA has been doing it, it is the first time they've done it with EA Sports.

Mass Effect 2 might have been the first in their 'Project $10.00' campaign

3. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    It has also been in effect with every single title sold on Steam except in that case you cannot sale even a portion of the game. Also, Ubisoft doesn't allow anyone to resell their PC titles. Expect many other developers to follow suit in attempt to squeeze out the vendors leeching off of the industry.

With that said, I don't see it affecting the rental community much at all as you can still play the rented game online for 7 days.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And it's profile specific, not console. So if multiple people play online from one copy, you'll need to buy the pass for each one that plays minus the one that redeemed the copy in the box unless everyone uses the same profile.