1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earliest install more than a month out?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by wxman1969, Sep 10, 2013.

1. wxman1969

wxman1969 Cool Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Been a customer for 15+ years and am upgrading (or trying) to a Genie system and the CSR is telling me the soonest they can get someone out is more than a month away. Is that possible? Are others having this same delay? That just seems ridiculous to me. I was thinking a week or two max.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You can set up the order and once it is in the system you can go on-line and try to change the date. Sometimes you can find a date that is earlier than you were initially told. If you can't find a date you want on-line, you can always call back up and cancel your order.

- Merg

3. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    It must be because of where you live. I'm on Long Island and upgraded to a Genie last Thursday and the first appointment was available this coming Thursday.

Have there been any significant storms in your area recently that would require a lot of repairs? Are there any local channel disputes, nearby, with Dish or your local cable company that could be causing people to convert to DirecTV?

4. wxman1969

wxman1969 Cool Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tried that. The calendar on Directv's web site still tells me that it's unavailable (see attached). Been this way since I made the order last Thursday. Am I the only one having this issue? I'm really frustrated having to wait over a month for this. I just can't believe that every day for the next month or more is booked solid. No storms or local channel disputes that I'm aware of.

Attached Files:

• dtv.png
      dtv.png
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It could also be that they are backordered on Genies or other equipment needed.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Where do you live? It's possible that you're just nowhere near any of the tech hubs so for non immediate truck rolls (i.e. storm damage, etc) they hold back and do them in groups since they would need to put the tech up in a hotel for a few days.

7. wxman1969

wxman1969 Cool Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Then why not just tell me that? The CSR tried to convince me it was because they were doing such good business that the installers couldn't get out there fast enough to keep up with demand. The other responder on this thread made his order the same day as I did and is getting his installed this week. That seems reasonable. A month is just way too long to be believed. And the fact that I've never been able to get that damn calendar to work is puzzling as well. Also, they promised a call back within 72 hours to schedule an install date and that never happened. I had to call them.

8. wxman1969

wxman1969 Cool Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I live in Los Angeles.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Then why not just tell me that? The CSR tried to convince me it was because they were doing such good business that the installers couldn't get out there fast enough to keep up with demand. The other responder on this thread made his order the same day as I did and is getting his installed this week. That seems reasonable. A month is just way too long to be believed. And the fact that I've never been able to get that damn calendar to work is puzzling as well. Also, they promised a call back within 72 hours to schedule an install date and that never happened. I had to call them.

It might also have to do with if the installer in your area is a contractor or DirecTV. I don't know for certain, but the calendar might not be available when you are serviced by a contractor. As for stuff being backordered, that could be because your area is having a lot of orders.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Based on the number of new HR34 installs I've been reading about, I wonder if they're running out of Genies.

If so, it doesn't bode well for those seeking a second Genie.

11. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    I bet it has something to do with football season starting this past weekend. When i had a tech out in August he was telling me how it was the calm before the super storm next month.

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    NFL Sunday Ticket installs are always busiest this time of year.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, very busy in Long Island NY

14. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    No second Genies allowed via Directv.

We're so busy it hurts guys. In a small market of about a million total people we have 8/9 day delays on truck rolls.

The rumor of Dish losing ESPN/Disney.

Massive amounts of upgrades for Genies.

Sunday Ticket promo time.

15. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    It's not just Genies..it's across the country. The NFLST is (and has been) the big mover and shaker for the mad rush. There are just not enough technicians to pare the backlog of installs. A month is unusual, so wherever the OP is located in Los Angeles (either on the periphery or in a subcontractor location), it's not full of installers.

This year is actually (on average) better in terms of wait times than previous years..a month was the norm, with longer delays in certain areas..now the typical max wait time is 2 weeks, with most installs within 1 week. However, people are increasingly impatient these days, so if next day or same day install is not available, they tend to lose control.

IMHO, something big is going to happen in the next year or two..get ready for shakeup, shakedown or paradigm shift in the industry. If the FCC releases more spectrum, lookout.

BTW, there is HUGE demand from customers moving from one location to another (and for 2nd homes).

Just saying..

-=K=-

16. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    My first cable TV install when I lived in Wisconsin back around 1980 took over a year to get installed. And IIRC, we got around 20 channels (on 2 wires with a selector switch!) yuck!

I'm friendly with several sat installers in this area, at various times we have had installers brought in from as far as Arizona to work off back logs, and in times when this area has no back log, we have 'exported' installers to as far as Montana and North Dakota.

Of course, if most areas have a back log, swapping crews around the nation isn't feasible.

Currently, my area is running about 2 weeks for an install/upgrade/repair which has thrown a few jobs my way, unfortunately, I am booked tight now too with preparations for some of my other businesses.

17. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    I own a retailer in Orange County have heard multiple reports from customers in LA/OC about this this month. service calls about a week out, installs about 2 weeks out, upgrades 3+weeks out. One in house tech I know said there was talk of cutting off upgrades altogether due to work load. Problem is a perfect storm of the start of Sunday Ticket plus the Time Warner/CBS/Showtime dispute. My workload has tripled the last three weeks. It looks like things will start returning to normal next week.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

18. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Probably that has a lot to do with it