1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Earth as seen from Saturn

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dpeters11, Jul 22, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I can't find the Moon...

1 person likes this.
  3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    I think i see it not sure though!

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I have an earlier picture from Cassini of Saturn and rings with the Earth as a single green pixel as my desktop.

And I felt severely insignificant when I sailed the Atlantic on a 42' sailboat in 1988.

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    That’s an impressive picture. I downloaded and blew it up and you can kinda see a light couple of pixels next to the Earth. That might be the Moon.

Either way, it’s a very cool picture. :)

Some of the best views of the night sky I’ve ever seen was from the bridge of my submarine in the middle of the Atlantic. With the nearest light several thousand miles away the stars were like a blanket in the sky. As a kid from north Jersey, I had no idea you could see so many stars in the night sky.

Mike

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    While we saw amazing things on the 1998 sailing trip, nothing compares to the first night I walked up on deck in July, 2005, in the Galapagos Islands.

The Milky Way was just like Mickey Mouse threw all those stars up in the beginning of Disney. Billions and Billions . . . (thanks, Carl)

There were some international crew that said they had never seen a star . . too hazy.

Scary.